Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Cottonwood Help
I work at the base of the canyon in Cottonwood Heights and would like to spend more of my lunch breaks on a river.
However, I am totally unfamiliar with this area and have no idea what I am going to find when I take a drive up the canyon.
Can anyone offer some insight to the area and what its possibilities are within a 1-2 hour window?
Thanks
[signature]
Fish are hungry and jumpy. Honestly, I've had good success with big dries and success with nymphs. Many areas of the stream are only inches deep (there are plenty of deep pools though) so I usually stick with dry flies.

Don't expect to be able to do big back casts. All of the canyons along the Wasatch front are overgrown and necessitate roll casts or, my preference in REALLY tight spaces, wrist-flick casts.

There is a mess of private property that runs through the canyon up there, but it's typically well marked.

Your best bet is to just take some flies and your rod and just pick a place to explore.
[signature]
The area I have seen fish regularly is called Mill Gulch, you can google map it. It's Big Cottonwood and a mixture of drainage that pools up. Like he was saying the fish are jumpy and have the ability to see you right away.

More importantly I think, Moose LOVE that area. I was driving up to Silver Fork 2 weeks ago to bring my brother to an interview and we spotted a calf running. We watched the calf run not that much further to his Mom and just down the hill from them was a guy in a nestle of trees fly fishing, purely unaware of mama moose 40 yards up the hill with her babe.

Not to dishearten your trek, just a friendly reminder, if you do not already know, to be careful walking around up there in the bushes with the moose out.
[signature]
Silver lake is fun for brookies. Its where i bring family or out of town friends for a good "alpine fishing" experience.
For the creek go to spruces and work up until you gotta leave. This is the best place for actually casting, its in a beauitful tree-less meadow. You can see fish darting everywhere, tons of beaver dams, bends and splits.
Ive seen people lower down by the day use campgrounds but is all very brushy below spruces. Be prepared to lose flies.
You may have just inspired me, i might go up there this afternoon.
[signature]