Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another short trip to Deer Creek
Yesterday my wife and I decided to take our boat to Deer Creek again. We had hoped to repeat the experience we had several weeks ago. I guess I was too excited to get the boat on the water, because I launched the boat without putting the plug in. After we had fished for an hour or so, we noticed that our bilge was casting water out of the boat. It was then that my wife asked me if I had put the plug in before we launched. We quickly went back to the boat launch, put the boat back on the trailer, pulled the boat out of the water, drained out all of the water, put the plug in, and launched again. We had caught three nice trout before this experience. However, on our second launch a fierce wind came up and boaters quickly got off the water. We tried to fish in the wind, but it was no longer much fun. We left Deer Creek around 11 am.
[signature]
A lesson I learned recently, wind on our lakes and reservoirs is not random. It's almost like clockwork, especially in spring when there is a wide difference in temperature from morning to noon. You'll generally always see wind double in speed and/or switch directions at the same period of time after the sun starts hitting the lake and surrounding peaks. Knowing when this is going to happen can not only improve your fishing trip, it's also integral to your safety on the water.

Even though the weather itself isn't necessarily fully accurate on Weather.com, the hourly wind speed predictions can give you a pretty good idea of when you want to get off the water when in a small craft.
[signature]