Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down rigger mounting
Just mounted a rigger on my fiberglas boat. I hung my 8lb weight on just at home for fun and there was about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of flex to the side of my boat. It a 20 ski and I guess now fish boat. Is that normal or should I back it up some how. If the side busts off the wife would drown me.
[signature]
It sounds like you should back it up to me, if it is already flexing that much. Over time it will weaken the fiberglas and crack it. If you ever get the ball hung up on the bottom, you will have a problem for sure.

humpy
[signature]
I agree. You need to spread that stress out a little by bolting to a steel plate backer. If you snag your ball it will bust the glass on your boat.
[signature]
Do you have a picture of the mounting point? I have a 20.5' Bayliner with an I/O. I decided not to mount directly to the boat for that very reason. I ended up building a clip-in base that straddles the engine cover and rests on the gunnel. It works great and I don't have a permanent mount in the boat when I want to ski. If you want pics, I can post them up.

TiteLines
[signature]
Please post pics! I do not want a permanent mount either.
[signature]
I just bought a 24 foot bayliner and am looking for ways to mount downriggers on it pictures would be great so i can see if that way will work for me as well.
[signature]
This is how I did I'm going this weekend we will see if I need to change something after the trip. Hope the pics work?
[signature]

[signature]
Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling for work...

Your's looks pretty beefy now. Did the flexing diminish? Here's some pics of my clip-in mount. I built the platform out of treated 2x6, used SS L-brackets to create the 90 degree angle, painted with exterior paint and added boat bunk carpet w/ SS trim screws. Next, I attached SS loops from the marine store for the mount points on the boat and under the platform. My wife sewed loops on the backpacking straps for the bottom clips and long top straps and added the buckles. I then screwed the loops in place. I break a couple of the buckles now & then, but if I hang up in rocks with the ball, it gives enough to prevent damage. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Let's try not inline. Didn't work for some reason...
[signature]
I recently found this mounting system. Makes the riggers, or anything else easily removable, and can be mounted pretty much anywhere. I will for sure be using them on my next boat!!

http://www.v-lock.com.au/downrig.htm
[signature]
[quote not-a-purist]I recently found this mounting system. Makes the riggers, or anything else easily removable, and can be mounted pretty much anywhere. I will for sure be using them on my next boat!!

http://www.v-lock.com.au/downrig.htm[/quote]

that looks trick, wonder what the cost is.
[signature]