Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard ice eyes.
I know what you are all thinking, last time this guy posted about ice eyes, we all drove for hours and got our butts kicked.

But I am here again.

I wanted to go to polokids party, but I have other commitments that morning. So, I have a few hours in the evening, and willard has an ice cap on it so I am going to venture out there and check the ice thickness.

If its good, I am going to fish the evening bite for walleye.

Has anyone heard or seen anyone out there latley? Its not often willard freezes good enough to ice fish, other than the north marina wich is dry. But it did freeze up for a couple weeks two or three seasons ago. Thats the last time I ice fished it.

Dont really want to get wet so I hope theres some safe ice out there.

I may have to drag skeeter out there friday night to hold a rope on the bank for me.
[signature]
please let me know what the thickness is up there if its good I may run up and chase the eyes or mabye even the crappie up there.
[signature]
It is pretty easy to post as a guest - I'll login and redisplay the above link:

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][url "http://lindyfishingtackle.com/tackleshop/customer/search.php?substring=tazer"]http://lindyfishingtackle.com/tackleshop/customer/search.php?substring=tazer[/url][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2]Go towards the light......[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 2][/size][/font]
[signature]
Fish fear you, theres a report on the DWR page from a guy who said the ice was a solid 4 inches at willard in the south west corner.

If you trust him, that may be the info you are looking for. I always like to get info from someone I know, especially when ice thickness and quality is concerned.

The crappie could be easy to find since the marina is dry. I would bet they moved just south of the marina and could be found near the islands and shallow water near the treelines and dike. You can see the remnants of the christmas trees they put in there last year, sticking up through the ice in a couple places. Thats where I would try. Plus the water is not too deep there.
[signature]
That sounds like plenty of ice. I don't even need 4 inches 2-3 inches is plenty. I've fished every year for wipers at the N marina on the ice until it got too shallow and finally dried up. Never ever caught a willard ice crappie though, just perch and wipers. Warning: drill a big hole like 11 inches for the wiper or they won't come through. Wonder what dike would be best for the wipers now that the marina is dry? Are you guys trying the light pole area for the 'eyes?
[signature]
Let's go in the moring. I don't think I can go in the afternoon. I have plans from 3 to 5 pm. Give me a call
[signature]
hey predator. i drove by two days ago and i dont know the thickness but i can say there were no holes drilled anywhere. or tracks anywhere. so if you make it out there you will be the first since the last snow storm, that is as of two days ago who knows what will happen inbetween then. also the water levels look lower which Saddened me greatly. and they had the backhoe still in the north marina. looks like slow but steady progress. i sure hope they fill that thing a bit over the winter or its going to winter kill. tempted to call and ask why they are not since they are filling all the canals from the weber to 100% capacity. whats all the water for if its not irrigation season/ hmmm
[signature]
Just a thought X, maybe they want to get the dredging completed before they start filling?
[signature]
i sure hope that is the case. though would break the ice all up and would ruin the ice fishing. but i would rather see some water myself.
[signature]
Wiperslayer and I have been thinking about trying the west dike by the light pole. That area is the deepest of the whole lake and I would bet there are a lot of fish there.
Predator, I look forward to your report, I would love to get out there Monday, what a blast that would be, wipers thru the ice. WH2
[signature]
Here is a January 11th report from the UDWR website:

[#555555]"Willard Bay:[/#555555] We Fished the southwest corner on Sunday for about 3 hours. Fished from 4 to 14 feet of water near the outlet pump and worked our way to the north. Between two of us, we didn't get a single bite. Water was very dirty. Ice was a solid 4 inches."
[signature]
That doesn't sound good, Fishcrazy and I were making plans to fish it on Monday but now I think I'll wait for Predators report on Friday. Thanks for posting that report Kent. WH2
[signature]
Saw guys out from the north marina and at the south west end this morning. Didn't have time to go down and ask how they were doing. I would have been late for work.

Tightline
[signature]