Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Cape - Panic-ville BCS
East Cape - Panic-ville BCS
Last week forecasters predicted Hurricane Blanca to gain force and come right down our alley. Immediately I started receiving phone calls and emails from friends, neighbors and family expressing concern.

It seemed like all of Southern Baja was on alert. Shelves in major supermarkets started to empty as local residents went into a buying frenzy in preparation for the worst. A large swell started to build in Cabo and many of the larger yachts departed looking to get out of the predicted path of this storm. In La Paz the Port Captain closed the port for 5 days which seemed like overkill to me. Los Cabos became what I call "Panic-ville".

We never take threatening weather lightly but it was obvious to me that Blanca was not the perfect storm and most likely would not be much of a threat. I have learned from years of experience enduring hurricanes that warm sea temps in the high 80's fuel the storm and ours was only in the high 70's. Before sophisticated forecasting we could tell when a storm was coming by the dramatic increase in humidity. As Blanca approached that oppressiveness was not there.

In the end Blanca lost most of its punch as it tracked northwest into the Pacific missing lands end entirely. We barely received enough rain to mess up the windshield on my car and winds never reached more than 25 knots. The last time Cabo had a hurricane this early was 1948. Looks like this could be an action packed weather year.

Speaking of action packed, prior to Blanca fishing was really heating up. Several porpoise schools were being found daily just 10 to 20 miles from home and were producing limits of tuna. Most were small but a few big dawgs were mixed in. Striped and blue marlin action was good with a few wahoo in the daily counts. Also grande roosterfish were cruising shorelines. After a break for a couple of days as the storm passed it is back to business as usual.

[Image: 611151.jpg]
June is always prime time for roosterfish

[Image: 611152.jpg]
Kevin Cuevas started at the top. This 200 pounder was his first yellowfin ever

[Image: 611153.jpg]
A box full of sashimi

[Image: 611154.jpg]
Striped marlin putting on a show

[Image: 611155.jpg]
Marlin have been very consistent

[Image: 611156.jpg]
Up close