Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Bay June 12th
Sorry for this late post. I went to Strawberry and fished Strawberry Bay on Friday June 12. I was on the water at 6:00 a.m. The reservoir was socked in with fog & you could only see about a couple of hundred feet.

I am fishing with downriggers (DR) and started out at 7.5 to 15 feet in depth. I am using Kokanee Creek dodgers and pink squids. It was a very good morning of fishing – I am not sure if the fog & low light had anything to do with it? Between 6:15 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. it was very fast fishing. During this period, I caught my best ever Strawberry koke -3 lbs 13 oz.

At 7:00 a.m. I decided to drop the GoPro camera down & take some video. I have attached a sampling of the video, about 5 minutes.

About the video: The camera is mounted to the DR cable. The dodger and squid are about 4 to 5 feet behind the DR ball & the boat. I am fishing 15 feet in depth and you can see the schools of kokanee are, for the most part, above the dodger & squid. For those of you who think the boat and DR ball frighten the fish, this video would prove otherwise. It appears to me that the schools of fish are drafting the boat. (I might try bringing my dodger & squids in tighter to the boat in the future)

It appears my dodger has plenty of action; however the squids do not. I am wondering if those billed squids have more action & would result in more hook ups? I am going to do some experimenting in the near future.

Overall it was a good day, I brought home my best limit of Strawberry kokes: 3 lbs 13 oz, 3 lbs 7 oz & the other two were 2.5 lbs. The fillets fed myself and two other families in the neighborhood. Ended up catching 15 fish – 12 kokes & 3 slot cuts. I was off the water at 10:00 a.m. As I recall, the fog lifted about 9:30 a.m. & when I left the kokes were still biting.

Sorry for the crappy photos. I need to take a better camera in the future.
[signature]
Great looking fish and report![cool]
[signature]
I can't get your video to work, but squids don't have any action by themselves, any action is generated by the dodger. I can't see your setup, but the best way to run your squids is close to the dodger....8 to 10 inches is what we run ours. You seem to be doing alright, those are some nice fish!
[signature]
I have my squids 10-12 inches behind the dodger. They sure do not seem to have the swinging action that i thought they would have. The dodgers are working well.

Is everyone having problems downloading the video? If you are a kokanee fisherman, I think you will find the video interesting - my 2 cents.
[signature]
Very interesting video. It took several minutes to download, but that's OK. For one thing, with the fish following along with the boat that way, they tend to show on the sonar as lines instead of arches. That really is interesting that they are not only that shallow, but still following that closely right behind the boat. Kind of blows some theories right out of the water. You're right, I would've expected a little more action out of the squids.

I have a GoPro but I haven't had the guts to throw it in the lake yet, but I guess I'll have to do it, after all it's only 400 bucks, right? Did you learn how to rig it from youtube etc? You could learn a lot by doing that. Yes, I'm going to have to try it. I could probably even rig my "underwater camera" to work that way. Another project.

If I can't figure how to put my GoPro on my cable, I'm going to send you a PM !!!

I'm guessing you're using a release like the Scotty, with a "leader" between the cable and the release? Is that what we see in the video?
[signature]
What you see in the foreground is the Scotty DR release.

I bought a DR camera mount "Protroll" for the GoPro. Very easy way to mount the camera & no fear of losing it.

Another interest fact that I saw & not on the video is that the fish will follow the squid for several minutes - maybe up to 5 minutes. Sometimes they strike, sometimes they just swim away.
[signature]
How about Trollpro?
http://trollpro.com

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Picture is worth a 1000 words, video even more. That is great information. Thanks for posting.
[signature]
Got the video to work for me. Your right about the squid action, I would have expected a lot more movement. I am one that always lets my lure way behind the boat when fishing that shallow, guess that's a waste of time, seems to be plenty of fish willing to come right to the boat. I have watched on sonar the fish following my ball at deeper depths, and coming up to take a look at it, but it's suprising to see it happen that shallow. Very interesting.
Great video, thanks for posting it.
[signature]
I can't get the video to load. I sure would like to see it.
[signature]
Keep trying - for some reason it loads slowly. May have to create shorter video's in the future.
[signature]
That is a cool video. I always wanted to do that, but haven't. It would have been really cool to see the giant schools in porky a few years ago! Looks like the population is healthy....
[signature]
Says "server sent no data". That's weird.
[signature]
Mine said it would take 30 min to download, so I just went away and came back later. Probably better to edit it into short clips. Great video, educational and entertaining.

The TrollPro is $150, unless you have a better lead on it? I'll certainly consider getting one of those, it would be tons on fun.
[signature]
Ya think I could hook my ice fishing camera on my dr ball and get a live show, see what colors work or do you think there would be too much drag?
[signature]
You should put your video on YouTube and then share the link to it. For some reason I still cat get it to work, but would love to see it.
[signature]
I second the Youtube suggestions. I also would love to see the video and have been unable to view it after many attempts.
[signature]
It is a honkin' big file. Just click on it and select "save as" onto your desktop or something and wait. It took a while to DL for me. Streaming it wasn't the way to go at all and I got nowhere trying to do that.
[signature]