Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Cape - Footballs and rats
East Cape - Footballs and rats
East Cape weather has been spectacular this week. Days have been warm and the sea calm. The Pacific is experiencing its third named storm of the season but it looks like Hurricane Carlos will pose little threat to Baja.

Fishing has been excellent this week with striped marlin providing anglers constant action. Finding porpoise schools with football tuna has been easy but the bite has become much tougher. For whatever reason the fish have become spooky and just don't want to bite. Good news is, although it has been frustrating we can see the tuna feeding. One day soon they will come to the party again.

Blue marlin have also made a bigger showing this week. One fish over 400lbs was landed but most are rats in the 225 to 250 range. For those who have never tangled with a blue marlin I can tell you they are incredible and have much more attitude then a striped marlin. Once hooked, anglers need to hang on as even the rats go ballistic.

I am reminded by my daughter, who is not versed in fishing terms has no idea what I am talking about. If you don't know the lingo it can be hard to follow the conversation. Anglers refer to small tuna under 10lbs or so as footballs while large tuna are cows. Small blue marlin under 300lbs are referred to as rats. Guess that is why it is called big game fishing.

[Image: 616151.jpg]
Blue marlin starting to invade the East Cape

[Image: 616152.jpg]
Hard to believe, this fish is considered a rat

[Image: 616153.jpg]
Blue marlin putting on a show

[Image: 616154.jpg]
Another blue heading south

[Image: 616155.jpg]
Good roosterfish bite this week. Bill Shedd with his daughter Christie landing her first.

[Image: 616156.jpg]
Not many dorado in the count. Ryan Loria managed to find this one

[Image: 616157.jpg]
Releasing a blue

[Image: 616158.jpg]
A few cows mixed in with the footballs

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
US cell 310 308 5841
[signature]