Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat bearing question
Went to soldier creek today and while we was launching the boat We noticed a blown bearing. Its a 14' aluminum single axle trailer. The boat is at the marina still but need to get the bearings. Is a 1" bearing most likely the right size?
[signature]
Wow, thats too bad, wish I knew the answer to that question. I'm guessing you did not have any tools when this happened[:/]? Might have been a good idea to take the wheel off and bring it back with you if you did. Depending on how much damage you did, you might end up needing to replace the whole hub, worse case the entire axle[crazy]. Here is a very good post that Old_Coot made about this, read all the replies, some will likely help you as you deal with this.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
take the wheel hub off and take it with you down to heber they will have the correct bearings and can possibly help you assemble it, the bearings and races have the part numbers etched into them you can read them when they are removed.
[signature]
Last time(s) this happened to me, I had to take the wheel and bearing off of the good side and get the part numbers. Then re-pack the grease on both sides.

I don't know if they are somewhat interchangeable, but it seems different trailer manufacturers use slightly different items anymore.

Just 2 weeks ago I had a trailer stranded 60 miles from anything due to something similar Sad Best of luck to you, and I am sorry it happened.

On a side note, I have now packed a travel bag with the correct spare bearing, labeled for all the different trailers and it also includes includes.......
1. a bearing puller
2. grease
3. a hub (per trailer as well)
4. needle nose
5. channel locks
6. leather gloves
7. mechanic rubber gloves
8. paper towel
[signature]
I did the same last time myself. It is a pain when bearings go when one isn't prepaired for the worst. Complete kit in the truck to include bearings, seals, spare hub, tools, etc. now.

Generally speaking on single axle trailers.

If it is 5 lug hubs it is either the 1" or the 1 3/8 x 1 1/16" bearings. Just look at the trailer manufacture spec sticker on the trailer.

If the axle weight is listed as 3500 lbs then your hubs are 1750lb hubs. 1 3/8" x 1 1/16" bearings.

If the axle weight is listed as 2500 lbs then your hubs are 1250lb hubs. 1" bearings.

"Most" 4 lug hubs are 1" bearings. Not that spendy.

If making the drive to the lake to see which ones you have I'd at least grab the tools and 1" bearings. Good chance you might be covered. My bet on a 14' fishing boat trailer is 1" bearings.
[signature]
If you are planning on keeping the boat and trailer for awhile the best thing to have is a spare hub ready to go. Most time they go out is on a busy road and the least time you can spend there the better.. Good luck.. Fishon
[signature]