Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Lake Pathetic?
Hey where are all the fish. Our group of four fished it hard for two days this past week and it was slim pickings. The best catch was a fly rod that took my simi-seal leech. It was a hard fight. It had been at the bottom of the lake for at least a year and it wasn't in good shape. The fly it had on was almost all the way corroded off.
[signature]
So you had a bad couple of days. Next time you go it will be on fire. In my experience, Henry's is like that. Very fickle fishery.

Sorry to hear your trip wasn't what you were after, but I'd have to say that it has been like that for me about 50% of the time. That's one of the reason for doing my best to stay for a week every time I go. That, and the wind....... Oh yeah, the wind at Henry's doesn't blow, it sucks. Okay, so it sucks and blows.......

Can that rod be re-built? Is it a decent blank?
[signature]
I can't quote him exactly, but Al Lindner says that if you go fishing 7 days, you'll have 2 poor days, 2 excellent days, and 3 average days. I'd have to say that my experience is very similar to his with one exception, and that would be Henry's. I think you need to go back and give it a few more days. [Smile]

You have my permission if that counts for anything. [Wink]
[signature]
We fished there Friday and Saturday mornings. It was really slow for us as well. We spoke with a group that was fly fishing the cliffs in tubes and they had been there for several days and had not had any luck at all. They thought that Henry's is about a month ahead of where it usually is this time of the year. We only caught a few fish on spinning gear and none on bait. Friday we counted 20 boats stacked up on Targhee Creek and they were catching fish on the fly. One old timer seemed to be catching a fish about every 10 minutes on his setup. He was speaking their language and certainly kicked our butt. However, most people we talked to at both Henrys and Island Park Reservoir had very little luck if any at all. On Friday we boated one fish and Saturday five, all on spinners. (At Henry's) We did a little better at Island Park trolling, but it still was a little over an hour per fish.
[signature]
Time to break out the indicator fly rod and start fishing a small chironomid or pheasant tail right off the bottom. That lake is tough to figure out, been fishing it for 16 years and there isn't really a single go to style that consistently works in my experience. If you're use to throwing and stripping leeches and aren't catching fish you may have to branch out and learn a different style of fishing for them.
[signature]
Yeah, sometimes we get stuck on patterns that have produced so well in a lake that it is hard to try something different. Definitely next time I am over there and my go to patterns aren't causing any stir, I am going to pull out some pheasant tails and other small patterns. Thanks!
[signature]
We just got back from a week up there. Granted we floated rivers more then the lake but we did hit it a few times. The talk around the lake including Damon is it is really slow all month. Water temp was 64 to 69 IN JUNE! that is too warm so unless you keep the fish this is a good thing that they are not being caught.
We went with a Type 3 and Purple Showgirl. Mids did nothing because you can't read any fish, so you have no idea how deep to go. Unless you troll a mid which I have never tried.
They are in hiding but when they wanna play, they want meat and to play.
Back to the old days where you had to work for the fish. I love this. Jessica was turning it into a put and take and it is so much more then that...NICE JOB Damon.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]We just got back from a week up there. Granted we floated rivers more then the lake but we did hit it a few times. The talk around the lake including Damon is it is really slow all month. Water temp was 64 to 69 IN JUNE! that is too warm so unless you keep the fish this is a good thing that they are not being caught.
We went with a Type 3 and Purple Showgirl. Mids did nothing because you can't read any fish, so you have no idea how deep to go. Unless you troll a mid which I have never tried.
They are in hiding but when they wanna play, they want meat and to play.
Back to the old days where you had to work for the fish. I love this. Jessica was turning it into a put and take and it is so much more then that...NICE JOB Damon.[/quote]

Not to derail the thread, but good to see you back on here FG.
[signature]
Thanks my friend.
[Image: IMG_3028_zpsseogseqg.jpg]
[signature]