Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee help needed - Strawberry
My buddy and I are heading up to da strawberry for the weekend. We want to focus on Kokes but we have not ever caught one. We will be in his boat that doesn't have downriggers. We have leaded lines, and mono lines. How to setup would be helpful? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. OK to PM if necessary.
[signature]
The kokes aren't real deep right now, attached is a sample of the setup I used that got em! I even had one downrigger out and this set up was much more successful! I call it my "inline drop-shot". You can play around with different weights and distances bask from the boat to achieve the right depth.
[signature]
This DWR seminar discusses the snap weight method. This is a long video but well worth the time to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAxvIAMnX78
[signature]
Having never caught one, nor fished for them I am not an expert in any way, but I have read alot of posts, and watched the video referenced in the prior post.

Here is what I have learned. Alot of people fish with their squid to far behind the dodger. The dodger is to give the squid action. Change colors if one is not producing. Change things up until you find what is working. Fish around others fishing for the kokes.
The dodger is supposed to imitate feeding kokes and trigger the feeding frenzy response of other kokanee... But yes, it gives the squid action and you just need to keep twerking your setup til you find what works!
[signature]
Pro-troll has a lot of good information on line about tecquinues to use, and a lot of good advise for the Kokanee addict. You could google Kokanee fishing tecquinues or go to protroll.com. Good luck
[signature]
Finding them is most of the battle, area and depth. Speed comes into play, and time of day. 4 different parameters, so how well you can try to adjust to all these.

First find known Koke areas, depth 30 feet or more, if you are getting rainbows go down. 1 mph and up, but to fast is hard to get down, so maybe 1.2.

I have done very well on leaded line, even tough I have a downrigger as well. Out 75 to 90 feet on Diawa counter. 27 and down on the downrigger.

Flasher and squid tipped with berkly maggot. Depending on flasher 12 inches behind, to give the squid movement. Try squids with blades, try mini squids, try orange, try green, try pink, try red.

They are so worth it, both taste and fight.

Two people, 4 lines. Tricky to manage.

They never or hardly never show on fishfinder.

Maybe take a marker if you find them.

My biggest challenge is they shut down during parts of day and start back up First Light is geneally good if you know where to go.
[signature]