Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6-22-15
I went to Willard this morning with my grandson and more or less was going for him. We took his Kayak with us and my plan was to let him do what he wanted to do and try and get a little fishing in if I could. I met to guys at the boat ramp, neither of which had caught any fish this morning so I was prepared to just play in the water and not expect many fish.
We got the boat out of the north marina and headed to a spot that has been working for me well the last few weeks. When we got there, I threw his Kayak in the water and tied him on behind the boat about 50 feet and started trolling.. I threw out a shad rap and used the electric motor at about 1.9 MPH. Within 20 Minutes we had two very nice Walleye's and a crappie. Then caught another eye.
After his confidence grew( being towed behind the boat on his Kayak), I put up the electric and went with the gas at 2.88 to 3.1 MPH, we almost instantly caught two wipers, which we put back.
On the way trolling back to the north marina we hooked about an 8 inch Walleye which is the smallest I have seen or caught this year. There are going to be some nice fish in years to come..

So it was a great couple hours from about 1pm to 3pm. We caught 4 eyes, two wipers and a crappie, all trolling with raps.

The lesson for me for the day was that I caught the nice walleye's at a slower speed than usual and when I sped up it was all wipers. Temps are changing, the spawn is over and I can't wait for the boils to start!

Just a side note, I wasn't concerned with catching fish so I had the radio up, slamming doors, kid on a kayak 50 feet behind the boat, no side planers and still had a very great day catching fish.

Enjoy!
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip, was your grandson fishing too or just enjoying the ride?
[signature]
He was pretty much enjoing the ride while on his kayak. It was fun reelng in fish and having them jump right next to him, he loved it. Then he would have me pull him up next to the boat and tie him off so he could sit in the kayak and fish..
[signature]