Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions,thoughts on a boat?
Ok I spent a little time looking at boats at basspro today. I know dangerous....

I think I have found my next boat but I would like to know what those that have experience with it say. I am looking at the tracker pro guide V16 with a 75 hp merc on it. I would like a kicker on it but the salesman kept saying it is not needed. I find that hard to believe. I would upgrade the fish finder from the lowrance to a humminbird and get the ipilot as well. This one will have the versa track system on it for the accessories like rod holders and such. It is 16 feet in length of course. Another that I looked at was the pro guide 175. It was bigger all around and had a deeper draft. I checked out the bass tracker 175, 190, and 195. I like the platforms on the v16 which are simar to the bass boat. Yet still gives me the deep V that a bass tracker doesn't.

Any pros and cons to these boats?
[signature]
Well that answers the question I ask on your AZ thread[Wink]. I agree with your choice, this type of boat is an all around boat that will handle the many extremes in water conditions that you will encounter as a fisherman. Bass type boats are made to go fast and that is why they don't have a deep V but look at the upgrades Kent made on the front of his bass boat as an example of the difference between the two types of boats. If you want a great all around boat, the one you are looking at would be a good choice, imo.
That size is also good imo because it is lighter to pull and easier to store. There are many people that feel the same as that salesman does about not needing a kicker motor on your boat but it all comes down to this, an opinion. Here are the facts though, using your main motor to troll is doable but it puts time and most of all carbon deposits in the power head of your motor and in the long run it will be bad for it. True, that could take years and most people don't use their boat enough to do any major damage for a long time but it still isn't good. You can compare you boat motor to your car motor, what does it say in the owners manual, change your oil more often, if you drive it mainly in city driving and stop and go situations. Why is that, because it puts more wear and tear on the engine than if you drove it mainly on the road. Your main boat motor is made to run wide open or chose to wide open and it will last longer if that is how it is used. Of course, if you have an elect trolling motor and you can't get a kicker when you buy your boat, waiting a year or so to get a kicker is not going to be a big problem. Again, this is just my opinion, I'm sure others will share theirs.
[signature]
Definitely good info there. I plan on visiting 2 dealers in Utah to check out boats and options. I have 5 months until the car is paid off and then I will buy one. I plan on taking my time. So many options to choose from[Smile].
[signature]
One thing I will tell you, boats are cheaper when you get out of Utah, especially if you go East. If you can buy one back East verses in Utah, you will likely save several thousand dollars. Also, unless your heart is set on a Tracker, look at other brands. My friend was looking to buy a new boat and around here they wanted to 17 to 24K. Before they built the Cabelas here he went to the Cabelas in Sidney Neb and bought a 17' Lowe for 14k. Quite a savings for a few tanks of gas that it took to get there and pull it back.. I'm not sure if buying a Tracker in the state that it is made in, would be cheaper but it is worth looking into.
[signature]
I will keep my options open. If one dealer won't rig it like I want it I giro the next. I will check on out of state dealers too. Where are trackers built anyway?
[signature]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_Marine_Group
[signature]
Hmmm long drive....ROAD TRiP!!!!![laugh]
[signature]
Here is the closest in OK, is this similar to the one you looked at in LV?
http://oklahomacity.trackerboatcenter.co...ID=4886065
[signature]
Yeah bass pro is bass pro. I am going to check the dealer in Layton first and also check the smoker craft dealer as well do as to know what my options are. I know I have time so I will spend the time shopping around so that I get what I want and how I want it. There is a tracker dealer in grand junction CO as well. I think I will pop in there as well.
[signature]
IMO, you should also check out used boat. If you get one that is a year old or so, you could get a killer deal and a lot have low hours on them. Take your time, shop around and keep an open mind on what brand name you want and you will find a good one.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]

IMO, you should also check out used boat.

[/quote]

I was just going to make that same suggestion. The fish have no way of telling, not do they care, whether or not you purchased the boat new or not but your wallet certainly can tell the difference.
[signature]
I'd also like to get a similar boat but maybe I'm just day dreaming. Without knowing anything about boats and just looking around and I've decided my #1 choice would be a Lowe fishing machine pro 165 SC. [Smile]

They aren't as popular as the tracker.

https://www.loweboats.com/fishing-machine/FM165-Pro-SC/
[signature]
Nice boat I will have to take a closer look at it.
[signature]
Make sure you put a lot of thought and research into this, but even more importantly get out on the water in other people's boats to see what actually works in practice, because what sounds good on paper or in your head may not work well when executed. I started out looking for an open bow with full windshield and ended up with a center console bay style boat that works amazingly well on big water, made the decision after spending time on other boats and seeing what worked well and what didn't. I can store all of my rods, four downriggers, lifejackets, and other stuff using the built in storage with room to spare. Even has a built in cooler that works great.

And I can't reiterate enough to look at a used boat, there are tons for sale with low hours and in new condition. Just think of how many people have big dreams when buying a new boat thinking they will use it a lot until life gets in the way and it just sits in the garage, or they don't realize that some of these things burn through 8+ gallons per hour and can't afford to use them much. My boat is 30 years old but you wouldn't know it, spent most of its life parked in an airplane hangar in St George and was completely gone through 3 years ago including a complete rebuild of the main 200hp engine. When I bought it in March it had 52 hours on the main engine and it runs like it. Within the next year I plan to replace the 10hp kicker with a 4 stroke, because trolling with a 2 stroke blows. I run the kicker on the rear with a bow mounted wireless Minn Kota for steering the boat, works so much better than just the kicker when the wind picks up.
[signature]
That's why I am starting now. My car will be paid off in 4 months and I have been told by my wife I need to sell the one I have first. So I will be spending the next few months looking around. I have already ruled out the smoker craft. Not impressed with what I have seen already.
[signature]
If you are going to troll a bottom bouncer or a Lindy rig that 75 hp motor will most likely not idle down enough. For a bottom bouncer and Lindy rig you need to get under 1 mph. Get the kicker you won't regret it.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies. For now the new boat is on hold for five years for I just purchased a new travel trailer. Got to pay it off first. I will take into account all the suggestions. I am still leaning toward the tracker.
[signature]