Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New in SC
[cool]
Hey, everybody, I'm new here, thanks for having this forum!

I've done a little fishing off and on throughout my life-- my dad took me some when I was young, and I've done some sporadically, including a few charter deep sea fishing trips out of Charleston and Myrtle Beach. This year, I got my fishing license for the first time in years and started doing a little fresh water fishing again locally, especially in the Enoree River.

I caught what I believe is a bluegill and some other type of bream this morning, maybe a pumpkinseed, though I'm not sure. See the bluegill (?) on my profile picture. I threw them both back since I wasn't really ready to prep and eat them and they were about 6-7 inches long.

Yes, the orange one that I think might be pumpkinseed, is upside down in the picture--he was flopping all around and I wanted to hurry up and photo him and get him thrown back before he blew a fuse. [sly] You guys can tell me if it's a different species.

Jim
[signature]
Ok, I didn't get the picture to post this time, let me try again. [inline "pumpkinseed fish.jpg"]

Also, here's the other fish.
[inline Bluegill.jpg]
I caught them both on a single store-bought salmon egg on a small hook, two feet from a medium-large bobber. Both were within about ten feet of where I sat, though I had tried letting my line more than sixty-eighty feet down stream first.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! I see you have found the South Carolina board. Here is a link to the freshwater board.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ategory=70

Nice pics of the fish. Bream are fun to catch especially when nothing else is biting.[Wink]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Jim. The first one in your pic looks like a pumpkinseed to me, the second is what I call a green sunfish. How that helps.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks, guys! I had thought the lower one was a bluegill, based on the black covering over the gill.

But I am pretty new at this. [laugh]
[signature]
Here are some pictures of green sunfish:
https://www.google.com/search?q=green+su...24&bih=476
[signature]
Ok, thanks! I'm sure you're right, it just doesn't really look like the pictures of the green sunfish either, but I guess there is some variation in color. Does the eye color make a difference in identification?
[signature]
The members of the sunfish family interbreed with each other so the looks can be vastly different. The pumpkin seed sunfish look a lot like that green sunfish, so it could also be just another shade of color of them. What do you think of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pumpkin+...24&bih=476
[signature]
Yeah, it's like they all blend, one into another. My lower picture one shows practically no orange whatsoever. One of my friends also thinks it's a green sunfish, too. Probably what it is.

I guess we could eat them if we had to. They're fun to catch, they put up a good fight for their size.
[signature]
Green sunfish are fun to catch. I have been able to catch them on spinners of all things. They do put up a good fight.
[signature]