Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Help
The Wife and I trolled at Willard bay today
only got 3 walleyes, 3 channel cats, and 3 crappie and only 1 Wiper
lost 2 big wipers on the planner board.
best lure was a Rapala Glass Shad Rap #5 2"
got the one wiper on a spoon on a leadcore line. out 2 1/2 col.
Changed some lures but not a lot.
changed speed a lot.
This is what I'm seeing on the fishfinder all day
If this is fish I should have got a lot more.
The first 3 are from my Humminbird Oinx
The Next 3 are off the HB 998
[signature]
Hey Robert, you did pretty good for your first time solo at Willard. As I told you last week, when the shad get big enough for fish to start eating them, the catching slows way down. It could be that time now but it sounds like it isn't quite there yet if you caught that many fish, especially walleye. The eye bite will shut down when the shad get a decent size. How did you like the North marina compared to the South marina?
[signature]
Those images, in my experience, are not typical representations of larger fish. My guess is they are small dense schools of shad minnows.
[signature]
North marina was Ok.
I helped a guy who just bought a 24' cutty get his boat out
, he did not know what he was doing, we got it out OK, hope someone was around to hepl him get it out.
[signature]
Wow, 80 degrees! I haven't been out there in a couple weeks, but it was a refreshing 71 degrees then...It's approaching jacuzzi temps now!
[signature]
Both marinas have different advantages, I like the South because there are usually less people there.
Good for you, helping out someone in need. It always amazes me when you watch people launch or try to launch their boats. I don't think some people should ever be allowed to own a boat but I guess we all had to start some where and if that guys first boat was a 24' cutty, he bit off more than he can chew.[Wink] Was it a new boat or an old boat?
[signature]
Water temp at Willard has been 80* and warmer for two weeks or maybe longer now[crazy]. Liketrolling and I were out there last week and it was 80* at 6am and went up to 83* by the time we got off the water a noon.
[signature]
Dang that couldn't be good for the fish.
[signature]
The catfish don't seem to mind but the eyes and wipers are pretty skinny and don't fight well when the water is that warm. Maybe after the cats spawn there will be some baby cats for them skinny fish to eat?[Wink]
[signature]
I/m not surprised the water temp was that high at Willard it was 81 deg f at 5pm on the 3rd of July at flaming gorge
[signature]
Robert I've seen images like that a lot at Willard I think is shad or small crappie or something, the side image was very strange looking though. what are your thoughts?
[signature]
This is the first time I have had my boat on willard.
so only 12 ft of water is new to me.
I think you guys are right about the shad and small crappie.
on the side image that was the only time it looked like that.
there must me a lot of shad in willard.
one thing I could turn on both of my fishfinders (HB Onix and 998) at the same time and not get interference also no interference from the kicker motor.
[signature]
Yup, and that 12 feet of water sometimes seems like eleven feet of it is baby shad. Like in July.

I'm giving Willard a break until fall cooldown starts. That's just my own decision, not a recommendation.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Yup, and that 12 feet of water sometimes seems like eleven feet of it is baby shad. Like in July.

I'm giving Willard a break until fall cooldown starts. That's just my own decision, not a recommendation.[/quote]

I may have to agree. It's is way hot. Water is way warm. It's time to hit the mountains. Although I did promise my daughter a trip to catch wiper so I have to follow through with that first.[Wink]
[signature]