Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard Transporting Advice
So, I got an old 50hp outboard to replace the HD7000 (mud motor) during the waterfowl off season. Problem is that I need a transom saver or some other way to prop it up during transport. I dont trust the little clips on the motor and definitely need a back up so the outboard doesn't impact the ground.
Is there anything better than an expensive transom saver brand strut? Any other ways to secure an outboard in the up position?
[signature]
Been using one of these since 2002. Six round-trips to the Florida Keys with one motor, and probably over 1500 round trips from Manila to Lucerne (24 mi.) with another. Both transoms and motors are still there, holding and running.
[url "http://www.m-ywedge.com/"]http://www.m-ywedge.com/[/url]
[signature]
+1 what ^^^ said wedge is a transom saver for us also.
[signature]
I use the wedge as well.
[signature]
I am a huge fan of the Swivel-Eze/Attwood brand. I have the kind that goes over the last roller on the trailer and then you let your motor down onto the "V" part. This way it not only supports the motor but keeps it from turning side-to-side. The best part of this brand it is "spring loaded" (with a heavy duty spring). Why is this important to me? Well I like the fact that when I put my transom saver into position the motor will bounce no matter what support you have. I like that my motor is NOT rigid like the one DuBob has and is sturdier than the one TarponJim has. The heavy duty spring takes up any shock from the bumps that your trailer goes over. Plus the price decent at around $60. Here is a link:
[url "http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/transom-savers-shock-absorbing"]http://www.attwoodmarine.com/...vers-shock-absorbing[/url]
[signature]
I also have the same one BearLakeFishGuy uses. Went over some railroad tracks and mine bounced out of fork. I eliminated the spring load, replaced bolt that attaches fork to tube with eyebolt and use a bungee cord to secure lower gear unit to fork. No problems with this setup.
[signature]
I definitely use a bungee cord to secure the motor to the "v" in the motor toter. As I said, no matter what you use to protect your motor, the motor bounces. The one with the spring absorbs some of the 300+lbs of my motor on the transom. I think this is better than a rigid mounted one that transfers all the weight of the motor to the transom when you hit a bump in the road.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]Personally, I wouldn't want to secure an outboard motor in any fashion that doesn't transfer ALL bouncing/torqueing related pressure to the trailer frame. I don't want any torqueing applied to the transom at all.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][/#000000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]In the Web page for the "My-Wedge" described above by Jim, it says "Thanks to advances in boat-building technology over the last decade, modern transoms are created to withstand torque. That’s why the m-ywedge ...". That device to me, appears to be more of a "motor stabilizer" than a "transom saver". In fact, it seems to depend on a transom that is "designed to withstand torque". Personally, I wouldn't use one. But I sure can't deny the long trouble-free service Jim has got from his.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]The Motor Mate, like the My Wedge, appears to be another form of "motor stabilizer" or "hydraulics saver" rather than a "transom saver". It too looks kind of cool and easy to use. But I don't see how it is doing much to protect a transom from the abusive torque applied to them when going over bumps. The Web site says "The motormate can be [#008000]mistaken for a transom saver[/#008000], motor toter, or swivel bar but in fact it is an outboard motor locking system." Then it goes on to say that it is "... the single best way to protect an outboard motor transom ...". I just don't buy it.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]Another great device was described here by BearLakeFishGuy ... a spring-loaded shock absorbing transom saver. When I first seen one of those, I thought "Hey, Cool!". But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the non-rigid "spring" feature allows the motor to move up and down when going over bumps which in turn, again, allows unwanted torque to be transferred to the transom. Again, a great motor stabilizer, but not the best transom saver. Albeit, I think that BLFG's "transom saver" is slightly better than the My-Wedge or the Motor Mate.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]So, what do "I" prefer? I like the rigid, motor-to-trailer frame type transom savers like any one of [/size][/#000000][/font][url "http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Boat-Transom-Savers/"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000bf][size 4]these[/size][/#0000bf][/font][/url][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]. They run $60-70 a piece but if you ever sell your boat, you can keep them for your next boat.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4][inline Main-Motor-Transom-Saver-444.jpg][/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]I have two TS-85s (or TS-90s ... not sure which length). One for my main motor and one for the kicker.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4][inline Both-Transom-Savers-444.jpg][/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4][/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]They come in both straight shaft design or with an elbow ... which ever fits your situation best. Simply stick them in the slot up-side-down, give them a 180° turn, and set the motor in the rubber "V" block. Throw on a rubber bungee and you're ready to roll.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]With these rigid motor-to-trailer frame transom savers, I feel confident that my transom is not being stressed at all going down the road on long trips.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]Oh, and here's one little tip that you might like (or might laugh at): To keep the motor from flopping left and right while going down the road, simply securing the steering wheel will secure the motor.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[size 4]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4][inline Steering-Wheel-Strap-444.jpg][/size][/#000000][/font]

[size 4]I know ... a little red-neck huh.[/size]
[size 4] [/size]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]Yea, I know, everyone likes what they have best ... yup, I get that. Goes for me too.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Good to have you back on the board posting again Ralph. I agree with you, although I don't use the brand name you use but it works exactly the same way. The design of the V that holds the foot of the motor with these transom savers, will not allow the motor to turn to the left or right, so there is no need for the steering wheel to be tied down but hey, if it make you feel better about it, that's what counts[Wink].
[signature]
Just bought a 150 Optimax. Be sure to strap the boat to the trailer or the movement between the two will be transferred through/to the engine support.
[signature]
LOL, yea thats a given and if you go to some lakes in utah and they check your boat, they will tell you its a requirement. They told a friend of mine that if they caught him without them, the next time he would receive a ticket. I'm assuming you are talking about the rear straps.
[signature]