Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to purchase boat covers?
I have owned my latest boat less than 12 months and I have already purchased two boat covers, and the second one doesn't look like it will last very long either. I purchased both of these covers Online.

For my previous boat, I had a cover made by The Canvas Shop in SLC that was lasting forever, but he is no longer in business. I liked the work that Louis Cohen (son, I never knew the father) of Cohen Canvas Goods did but he died in 2014 and his wife might do fine work, but the prices she charges seem to be significantly higher than what Louis charged. Also, on a prior boat I had a cover made by Sugar House Awning, but it only lasted a few years before shredding in the wind as I drove to Idaho.

If anyone has had a good experience having a cover made locally (Wasatch Front) I would like to hear about it.
[signature]
I had a canvas awning and a canvas sign made by Read's Canvas at 250 Washington in Ogden. They do very good work.

Google also tells me there's a Brian's Canvas Shop in SLC
[signature]
Kirkham's in American Fork makes some good covers.

You may want to give Sugar House another try. My current cover has lasted over 10 years. I've only had to replace snaps and fix a rip where someone tried to stand on the cover.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
[quote boat_guy]

You may want to give Sugar House another try. My current cover has lasted over 10 years. I've only had to replace snaps and fix a rip where someone tried to stand on the cover.

[/quote]

Do you recall what material was used?
[signature]
The cover that came with my boat is from Cabela's.
It is holding up very well.
[signature]
Solid Sunbrella...the textured Sunbrella doesn't last as long.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
The cover I have on TinCan was made by SugarHouse and is same age as the boat (8 years) It has been a good cover, but about a year ago, one of the rear transom corner areas, the stitches came out, and the material started to rip. I went to Bryans Canvas in Clearfield Freeport Center. They repaired the ripped corner, patched a few other tears, replaced one D ring web, and only cost me $21.00. They could have easily tried to "up sell" me a new custom cover, but they didn't. Their workmanship was top notch, and the integrity quite refreshing. I will need a new cover by the end of this year for the winter, and I fully intend to go back to Bryans.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I'm still running the same tow cover on our 20 ft. Crestliner, it is a snap on cover that covers from bow up over windshield and snaps down at the stern. Looks good and is going into its 14th season, I've had to replace a couple snaps is all. I'll see if I can find a picture of the boat with the cover on. I treat it every couple of years with a rain repellant. I have my work done at Brian's Canvas located in the West Freeport Center.
[signature]
Thank you. That is two votes for Brian's Canvas.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I found this guy that does it out of his house. Excellent product, great workmen ship, much cheaper that Sugarhouse, Brian’s, etc... 801-773-7999.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]
[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]
[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I had him build me both a two piece travel cover and a heavy winter cover and both have held up great. The only issue I did have was the winter cover ripped just forward of the tire from me over tightening it, but he stood by his work and repaired it for free.[/size][/font]
[signature]
14 years with a lot of travel miles, rain and snow, cover is still in great shape. Brian has also done my storage covers, first one lasted ten years this one just went thru it's 4th winter still looking good, I would rather spend a little more for a cover that lasts and he is only a couple miles up the road from me...... A happy camper[cool]
[signature]
Kirkhams in American Fork !! Best cover's I have ever bought.
Kent, There are a ton of big boats in the marina at Bear Lake and many of them use the same canvas guy. His business is called Sewlong and its on 3555 S. Main, in SLC. Besides their location they have a big van with machines in it and they can come to you to be portable. I've seen a lot of his work and I'm impressed. After my current cover wears out (made by Sugarhouse Awning) I'll try Sewlong. Sugarhouse is EXCELLENT, but they are pricey. However, they also can get things done quickly which is why they are popular. I have Sunbrella solid on my boat and am 100% happy with that material. Plus I also have a Sugarhouse cover with Sunbrella on our main workboat and couldn't be more pleased with the fit/finish. Oh, the website is [url "http://www.sewlong.com"]www.sewlong.com[/url] so check them out.
[signature]
Try Custom Covers in SLC
www.sewlong.com
801-262-4017

Not sure if this is same one BearLakeFishGuy mentioned but this is where I got my enclosure done. They will make anything to your specs. [Wink]
[signature]
sugarhouse awning on the boat I purchased. still going strong and quite old.
[signature]
I had the same guy sew one for a ski boat I had, around 12 years ago, I was really impressed with the quality and workmanship, he sewed nylon webbing all around the outside edge where the snaps went, I never had any snaps pull out does he still do that? I need one for my new boat I'm definitely going to call him. I think his name is Rick, he's in Clearfield
[signature]
Please report back what you find out. BTW -- in what area does he live?
[signature]
I purchased my boat used from Don's Marine in Smithfield and it had a used cover on it from them. It lasted about 10 years and they were always good to make repairs on it, so I had them make a new one. Custom fit and travels well!
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I will be purchasing the cover in the next few months.
[signature]
[quote WiperMac]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I found this guy that does it out of his house. Excellent product, great workmen ship, much cheaper that Sugarhouse, Brian’s, etc... 801-773-7999.

[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][/quote]

I would have thought the same thing, but found out something totally different. I called the guy you referenced and spoke to him. He sounded like a nice guy and sounded very confident. He gave me an estimate of $600 for a canvas cover and said that it would be at least twice that much to make one out of Sunbrella. I was going to have him make a Sunbrella cover for me, but decided to check with Brian's Canvas Products first. Brian's Canvas Products gave a quote or $475 to make a cover out of a similar product to Sunbrella. I scheduled a one-day appointment with Brian's Canvas Products.
[signature]