Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
white fish on the MP
Got to the river around 11. snapped off and lost almost all my browns. very frustrating. Around 2 we couldnt get the whites off our lines. They are fun to catch but couldnt be more difficult to get your fly back. If you like eating them, please go take some and thin them out a little they were in almost every hole. Maybe some of those tiny browns will get to grow up. sows, hares ears, and pmds. You might catch a few browns in between. 3 different hatches late in the day but no risers.
[signature]
[signature]
I didnt really help. I don want to drag a bunch of big whites around all day just to waste them... Maybe the osprey would like a nice fat one to take back to the nest. Theres was a few little ones hanging out on the edge of the nest near the river rd light.
[signature]
While there would be nothing at all wrong with harvesting some whities out of there, whitefish aren't the ones that are stunted, its the browns. The whities just continue doing their thing as they have for millenia and still retain the ability to get to decent size. The browns are what the DWR especially wants folks to take home because there are too many of them in the Middle.

I like whities. They are a true native fish, they fight well, and with their small mouths, require skill to land. Most of the ones I get on the Lower seem to be tanks as well.
[signature]
I think you are correct doggonefishin. I remember a few years ago reading something from the DWR (or maybe it was a video, can't remember). They were really wanting the fisherman to take a couple of fish home with them. They made it sound like it was a real problem and one that they were pretty concerned about.

I wish I could remember exactly what it was that I saw but its been too long.
[signature]
Sorry, just to clarify my last post. They were asking fisherman to take some trout home, I don't remember them mentioning anything about whitefish.
[signature]
I like whitefish as much as any other I enjoy. After you caught an entire school however, the FLOP starts to get to ya. Proud to say I did not lose my patience however and managed to not hook myself.

Never ate a whitefish, hear different things. I guess they are best smoked apparently.[fishon]
[signature]
yeah the whites arent stunted, thats kinda my point. They are larger and healthier so they have to eat more than the browns, right? The browns have to compete with them. I like both, but i would rather see larger browns and less whites.
[signature]
While it is true that both whites and browns eat much of the same stuff, (we often catch both on the same flies [Smile]) due to the specialized mouth morphology of whitefish, they are able to utilize food sources that browns have a hard time getting at. The proof of this is seen in a place like the Middle where the whites are robust and chunky and only the browns are stunted. If it is the case that the browns can't utilize efficiently what the whites grow fat on, then it doesn't matter how many whites you yank out, the browns won't improve until they are thinned out. With the current fish population in the Middle being something like 2 or 3 thousand fish per mile, largely browns, there is indeed a lot of thinning to do if one is to see some real big fish there.

Nonetheless, as noted previously, harvesting a white or three would have absolutely no negative effect either. I do like them smoked. I also found them to be good broiled or grilled.
[signature]
Makes sense, cant argue with that..
[signature]
[quote FishSlayerJT]

snapped off and lost almost all my browns.

[/quote]

[quote FishSlayerJT]

Maybe some of those tiny browns will get to grow up.

[/quote]

Having a hard time connecting the dots on these two statements. Shouldn't be snapping off fish, especially small fish, very often (outside of getting wrapped around a log or something).

Regarding the Whitefish, let's just say that if you are fishing for whitefish, you are going to catch whitefish. Check your tactics and presentations.

I don't mind catching whitefish, but almost never do outside of winter/early spring.
[signature]
It was a very strange day of events overall.

Let us just say the Provo River spirits decided it was time for some homage to be paid for all the fish that are hooked in that section year round. Never witnessed all that happen to one guy in one day.... Perhaps the tippet was bad... 2x leader to 4x fly line, but that should work just fine right?? I use a surgeons knot, he uses a blood knot.

And the ones he did loose were not small ones, he landed the small guys. So really just do not know what was going on.
[signature]
Yeah, im still trying to figure it out myself. Im thinking its just bad tippet and frustration mistakes.. It was one of those days, when you snag everything, drop/lose flies, net floats downstream and you dont notice til you catch a nice fish... Snapped off some bigger ones, lost a bunch at my feet and launched a few 6" browns up stream not knowing they were hooked. A lot more 6" fish than ive ever seen. I wasnt fishing for whites but they seemed to eat anything you threw at them in the afternoon.
[signature]
[quote FishSlayerJT]

...they were in almost every hole.

[/quote]

We used to have a saying back east during peak mayfly season, "Holes are for suckers (and not talking about the fish)." [Wink]

Think about where the prime food is right now and leave the holes for December.

If you guys want to conquer the Provo River (any western tailwater actually), then this book is an absolute must: http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Tailwa...pat+dorsey
[signature]
Catching fish including browns wasnt the problem. My set up was designed for the provo so i know its solid. Fish were not rising, i could see them eating under water. I pump stomachs , check rocks, and know exactly what they are eating. I dont just fish holes, but thats where i hooked the whites and some good browns, so why would i skip them? I dont care for the provo that much but thanks for the info.
[signature]
OK, sounds like you've got it dialed in.
[signature]
Besides loosing all his lures [Tongue] [bobhappy]
[signature]