Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee Rod
I am looking into purchasing a trolling rod and reel for Kokes. Hoping some of you could offer some recommendations. I mainly fish FG. Have been looking at some RMT rods/reels. Thanks for any advice.

Duke
[signature]
you can't go wrong with the rmt rods I have 4 and love them .
[signature]
I really like the Lamiglas CG 70 dr
[signature]
I have 2 Vance's tackle spiral wrap rods that are 7' 6" and I love them. They load up great in the riggers, I use 6 lb weights so they really telegraph strikes, no dragging dinks ! I think they are the same blank as the RMT rods
[signature]
We fish two different rods depending on who is with us

Fenwick HMG 7' med fast with a abu 6600 good general all around rod reel and very sturdy handles the KOK and pups very well

Lamaglass Kokanne special ultra fast with abu 5600 handles Koks well also and smaller pups. Really fun to catch KOKs on. This rod imo is for the more experienced fisher has less back bone which makes handling the fish around the boat on approach to the net more difficult. You feel the fish better with this light rod and not going to horse the large koks around with it. Tip also break easy on these ultra light type rods so kids and what I refer to as my oger friends can be hard on them.

You're looking at little over 200.00 each setup with tax
[signature]
Lamiglass or Velocity rods in Jared Johnson model (identical?). Daiwa Sealine 27 reels. Don't even think about the Cabela's line counter reels.
-----------
[signature]
I went the cheaper route and went to walmart and spent $35 on a 7'6 UL Berkley trout dough bait rod and added an Abu Garcia for another $50. I opted to go with out the line counter. Passing thru Bass Pro I found a Bass Pro brand UL rod for $20 and picked up two of them. I have yet to bring in a fish over 2 lbs so I am waiting to find out how they hold up. I have no complaints so far.
[signature]
The Velocity Rods that RMT offer are by far my favorite! I have had my brother, step dad, uncle, father in law use my blue Rod and they all went and bought themselves a couple. They have great bend to them when it comes to holding up on a down rigger and they have been super durable. I had a Lamiglas rod once upon a time and when it was cold out.. the tip broke right off, luckily I bought it from Sportsmans, so they replaced it at no cost. My brother got the new Ninja Hybrid at RMT and it way nice! I'm sure there are other great poles out there but when it comes to fishing for Kokanee I will never use anything other than Velocity Rods.
[signature]
I think one of the main things you buy to catch kokanee other than your boat is a Kokanee rod
two reels I like are
Daiwa Accudepth Low Profile Linecounter 6.3:1, 3+1 Ball Bearing, 10 Pound/150 Yards Reel
[url "http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-accudepth-ICV-15-LINE-COUNTER-REEL-new-6-3-1-/400956307125"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-accudepth-ICV-15-LINE-COUNTER-REEL-new-6-3-1-/400956307125[/url]
Abu Garcia AmbasSadeur LC Offshore Reel,
[url "http://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-Offshore-Reel/dp/B00GGGMKBO"]http://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-Offshore-Reel/dp/B00GGGMKBO[/url]
I made my rods they cost about $100 each.
If you want I can tell you what to buy and where.

[inline GOPR0214.JPG]
[signature]
Another thumbs up for Rocky Mountain tackle. We have used the red rods and the new gray with the new velocity reels. I like the gray rod the best and the new RM velocity reels have the smoothest drag I have used.
[signature]
Thanks for the input everyone! Always nice to get some feedback before purchasing. I think I will be placing an order for a 7'9" Graphite w/ red wraps and the recon 150 reel. Can't wait to test it out. Thanks again.

Duke
[signature]
Robert,
I couldn't help noticing in your picture that your Bimini is backwards. Does it work better that way? Maybe I'll try turning mine around too.

That's a nice koke your wife is holding!
[signature]

[quote MisterCompletely]Robert,
I couldn't help noticing in your picture that your Bimini is backwards. Does it work better that way? Maybe I'll try turning mine around too.

That's a nice koke your wife is holding![/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------
That is the way The Bimini came I have never changed it or had it off.
But their has been times it seemed like something was wrong. it keeps the sun off and rides ok at 40mph when it is up.
we got one koke about 4lbs and another one close to 5lb
at FG Thu.
[signature]
Doesn't look backwards to me. Standard appearance. Mine is a Taylor and looks the same on my Tracker 175WT. Mounted per the directions.
[signature]
The first thing I noticed was your straps in the back instead of the front, but in looking at mine, you don't have the rear aluminum braces on yours for whatever reason. Maybe yours were missing?

I first installed mine as per the directions, but the rear brace was in my way for downrigging, so I moved the entire Bimini forward and connected the straps to the forward cleats. Works OK that way.
[signature]
another vote for RMT/Velocity rods! I have the green, gf has the pink and theyre awesome. I plan on buying 2 ninja's here shortly
[signature]