Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Boat Registration
Received a notification in the mail that came from the DNR. A $10 fee will be added to annual boat registration fees in Utah in support of the AIS program. I talked to a representative at the regional office in Ogden that it only effects residential boat owners in Utah right now and not nonresidents. I mentioned that surrounding states are charging a fee to nonresidents for AIS. It also was mentioned that a nonresident fee is being discussed. Also the AIS self certification certificate still needs to be done by all whether its the daily form found at launch sites or the annual online test.
[signature]
Hey Roger, I got the same notice yesterday. Seems crazy they did not include a fee for Nonresidents boat owners that launch in Ut in the same bill that raised our registration fees[crazy]. I just don't understand their logic.
[signature]
Curt, it didn't make sense not to tag nonresidence on this to me. Gov'ts are not there to make sense out of this. In the meantime we help the surrounding states with their wealth. And not even a hint of a write off or deduction. [bobwhistle]
[signature]
So true, its like our state officials were asleep when they drew up this bill. None of them must own a boat or travel to our surrounding states and pay their fees.[crazy].
[signature]
It could be worse. Calif started charging registration fees for AIS and depending what district runs the lake, inspections & fees are charged at launch sites according to boat length. I keep hearing about the nightmares they are having with this situation. Lake Tahoe is especially terrible with this. It's almost like their asking what's in your wallet? AIS seems to fuel tempers in most places. Most states seem to agree that there is a problem but it goes beyond that with how they react to putting a bandaid on a problem that eventually will contaminate most waters across our country. It's going to hit home with higher culinary & secondary water fees.
[signature]
Let's jist put a $500.00 bounty on ever selfish S,O,B whut gits cot launchin' a undecontaminatud boat. Selfish POS gots tu git thur comeuppance sumhow an iffn ya don't lak whut ah have tu say wull, Kiss muh ya knows whut.
[signature]
I am boatless, what is AIS?
[signature]
Aquatic invasive species.
[signature]
We've been paying the same extra $10 since 2013 in Nevada that goes towards our AIS program.

I actually like the idea of no out of state charges like Utah is going to do. Nevada out of state is $20 and imo highly anti-tourism... And just a little bit carried away.

It gets me how "most" states charge a arm and a leg to visitors for fishing license, AIS, etc. Gas, traveling, planning, etc takes enough of ones hard earned $$$ when it comes to vacation planning.

Tom
[signature]
[quote wolfs4evr]We've been paying the same extra $10 since 2013 in Nevada that goes towards our AIS program.

I actually like the idea of no out of state charges like Utah is going to do. Nevada out of state is $20 and imo highly anti-tourism... And just a little bit carried away.

It gets me how "most" states charge a arm and a leg to visitors for fishing license, AIS, etc. Gas, traveling, planning, etc takes enough of ones hard earned $$$ when it comes to vacation planning.

Tom[/quote]

Out of state licenses do get expensive. Especially with my family. I bought four AZ day permits last month at $20 a pop. This month I only got one NV license. Still $20 after purchasing online[crazy]. Colorado is $9 a day.
[signature]
"It's going to hit home with higher culinary & secondary water fees."
Have you heard anyone talking about this? I know this year they have raised our culinary fees twice but I don't think that is the reason. I've been hearing our water rates are among the lowest in the county and it makes me wonder if that is why they are raising our rates[:/]. IMO, unless Utah gets a plan in place soon, to bring in more water, we are going to have to worry more about lack of water, than how high the rates go.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I really hate to say "I told you so." But the plain truth is - I told you so - back in February. [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Read about it [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=919107;#919107"]here[/url].[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]My ass state Senator (who wrote the damn thing) would NOT listen to any of these arguments then and neither would anybody else in the legislature. So now we have a bovine excrement law that soaks all resident boat owners in Utah but gives a free pass to all out of state watercraft and any resident watercraft that doesn't have to be registered - basically any watercraft that doesn't use any kind of motor.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I strongly suggested that a sticker/decal would be a better way to go and that any and all watercraft (resident/non-resident, motorized/non-motorized) placed in ANY Utah body of water should have one permanently attached prior to launch. But nooooooooo, they couldn't be bothered with something that actually made sense.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I was really upset last February at the almost total lack of concern by the members on this board and others about this bill when it was being processed. Well, its a little late now to be crying over it. Y'all should have been crying all over this thing and your reps and senators back then. All you can do now is pay the damn fee.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Oh, and just for your information, there wasn't one damn line in the bill about where and how this money would be spent. Just collect the fee and put it in a fund somewhere. [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
With Idaho and Wyoming doing it for years, I'm not surprised and $10 is cheaper than our surrounding states, I just don't understand no fee being charged for out of state boat owners. My guess is that there is a reason they did not put it in the bill, because after all, they are government officials[shocked]. Maybe they are just trying to drag it out for another year[:/].
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I just don't understand no fee being charged for out of state boat owners.[/quote]

Right or wrong, I think an analogy would be like how a utility trailer under 700 lbs. in Utah doesn't need to be licensed. But that same trailer owned in Idaho does need to be licensed. If I pull my Utah owned legally unlicensed trailer through Idaho, I won't get cited for not having a license.
[signature]
Every state has different rules on how they tax the people that live in that state but without exception they all change those that are out of state, higher fees for licenses for fishing and hunting. Idaho and Wyoming has taken it one step further by also charging a fee for the boat as well as the fishing license for those that are out of state. So even though you are not having to pay for your boat to be licensed in those states, you are indeed paying a fee to use your boat there, albeit for a different reason.
[signature]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I tried to tell my State Senator, and author of the bill, that a better way would be to require a separate decal be purchased and affixed to each and every watercraft, with or without a motor, and resident and non-resident alike. But Noooooooooo! That meant he would have actually had to re-write the stupid proposal and he wouldn't hear of it. It makes me so damn mad I could spit nails.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I thought it was only going to be $10. Mine went up from $38 to $53.
[signature]