Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern California Fishing
I may have a chance to take my 12 year old to California around San Diego next week for a couple of days. I'm thinking about trying a 1/2 day fishing excursion, but don't know much about what to expect or plan for. When I was a kid my dad took me on a 1/2 day thing where we rented all the gear and the boat was kind of crowded. I don't remember having any success and finding it frustrating (I was probably around 10). My dad probably didn't know what to expect, and isn't well versed in any fishing techniques. I've done enough fishing on Mead and around Utah that I think it could be fun with if I'm prepared and know what to expect.

Anyone have any input on:
1) Where to go and what outfit to use
2) Should I bring my own bass fishing gear? I've got a few medium or medium heavy bait casters with reels that I'm comfortable with, the lures and tackle I use for stripper fishing (casting & jigging spoons, swim baits, and crank baits), and some salt water lures ( larger bucktails) I got from my grandfather that he used to use fishing off the coast of Mexico before he died.
3) What are the customs & rules I should know beforehand
[signature]
Salt water?

You will need licenses. One day nonresident permits are $15. For a half day try sea forth landing in San Diego. I used them in the past. They also post daily catches on their website so you can compare from day to day.

I believe it is seaforthlanding.com

Also check out the California fishing regs online.
[signature]
well the fishing has been great the last few weeks the yellowtail, tuna all with in half day range of san Diego if want to find out how the fishing been go 976 tuna.com they give all landing fish count for the day
[signature]
Dont mess with the half day boat..book the point loma 3/4 day boat and get on some fish..rent your gear..bass gear wont handle the fish they are catching right now.

I spent a lot of my life fishing out of San Deggo...the smell of diesel in the morning with a sausage and egg samitch standing at the rail..good times..

Pointlomasportfishing
[signature]
The 3/4 day trip is the way to go if you can. I like seaforth landing due to free parking. Rent your gear and they will get you set up based on trip and what you will be fishing for. Doing the party boat trips licenses are usually included in the price.
[signature]

yes, try the sea forth boats they have been around there for over 40 years now. I used to fish with them 37 years ago, so they have the experience and time around that area.
[signature]
Check with TD! His son lives in So Cal and does a great deal of fishing down there. There are also several web sites that cater to the SoCal surf fishermen with daily updates and reports, similar to this board !!

Google SoCal surf fishing for their sites.
I would also do 3/4 or full day. 1/2 days are a boat ride imo. Both the suggested have been around for ever and catch fish. Yellow tail are one of the funnest fish to catch and very tasty. Good advice given above and leave your bass gear on the beach it will not hold up.
[signature]
Utgrad, You have got some good advice so far, but if there is anyway you can swing it you should upgrade to a 1 day trip or what some call an over night trip.

That upgrade could make all the difference. You would be on the boat about 20 hours, leaving about 10:00 pm and returning about 8:00 pm. You will likley be fishing hard from sun up to close to sun down, depending on how far out the fish are.

Over night boats get better and more live bait than the 1/2 or 3/4 day boats. That can make all the diffeance.

After fishing out of San Diego for many years I would suggest H&M landing first and then Fishermans landing.

For about $300 per person you can go on a over night trip. That price will include a bunk, Cal. fish lic.,Mexico permit, and one nice pole spooled with fresh 30# line. It may or may not include a breakfast or lunch. The boat will provide you a trolling pole and trolling lure for free.

If you have not done this type of fishing before start asking questions as soon as you get to the dock. You will likley see people sorting out tons of fish from the returning boats. Start asking right there what worked and what did not. That will give you a chance to step into one of the tackle stores and get a couple of pieces of terminal tackle that you might need.

Keep on asking questions as soon as you get on the boat and try to make friends with some of the regulars. If you get into a full blown Tuna bite you can't help but catch fish, but in a scratch bite a little knowlage will go along way towards success.

You are going at a very good time,, on a very good year. With an over night trip right now there is a good chance at Blue Fin Tuna, Yellow Fin Tuna, Yellow Tail, even Dorado and Bonito and Skip Jack.

Learn how to quickly hook a live bait and be the first one in the water as soon as you hear the engines shut down.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj35/...7038-2.jpg
[signature]
The YFT have been just a few miles SW out of Dana Point..Big boys in the Mix...Might be worth booking with Dana Point landing..

There is a great web site with up to date reports..Send me a Pm if interested
[signature]
I took my 2 boys out on a charter a couple off years ago and spent around $500 for a day trip. I got one bite. It took a few months before I realized it was one of the best $500 I ever spent. However I would do it different next time.

I don't have any advice but I wish you the best with the fishing. And I know you will cherish the time as will your son. You can't put a price on that.
[signature]
Yea you better do the full day, because you and your son will be puking over the side of the boat with sea sickness the first 1/2 of the day.
[signature]
Don't forget the Dramamine. Take one before bed the night before and one in the morning before you go to the landing. This will help. My brother owns a boat in northern Cali and this was his recommendation.
[signature]
Wow! thanks for the input everyone.
The possibility of catching a yellowfin is pretty exciting.
My dad will be going along too, and he says he has some business associates that are involved with something around Dana Point. The guy says he can help get us squared away and show us the ropes. So, the plan right now is to go out from Dana Wharf on Monday morning. I'll post updates and pictures when I have them.
[signature]
Sweet!
[signature]
If you have the time1-1/2 day trip is great for tuna i go out of point loma the boat is called the new lo-an marcus is the captin he can find the fish an he tries to make sure everyone is catching the fish.
[signature]
POINT LOMA - fish are snapping i am headed out in two weeks, lots of dorado, yellowtail and possible blue fin if you go out to or past the coronados! 3/4 or full day trip would be a blast

good luck
[signature]
Cant wait to read the report.....
What ever you do make time to eat some fish tacos at Johns fish market right at the landing...Best fish tacos ever..
[signature]
Well this was us last weekend on a 1 day 6pack charter. Joanna. Two guys and our 3 kids. Fishing was WFO 12 miles off Oceanside. SoCal is having the best Tuna Bite in memory. Oh and yes we used bass rods with 10lb braid for about half of those fish, fun but alot of work. Good Luck!
[signature]
Wow, that is a lot of tuna fish[Wink].
[signature]