Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Guy From Georgetown Lake Area
Howdy and thanks for having me. I have done a little fishing around my area of Georgetown Lake and some creeks but nothing substantial. Want to get over to Flathead. Any suggestions? I like to fish for just about anything. I have a 22 foot Dorsett Farallon that's great for any type of fishing, even sea but I prefer fresh water. Well, see ya in the funny papers.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT!
[signature]
Since this is a nation wide fishing board, I'm not familiar with Georgetown Lake, is that in Montana? I see you want to fish for just about anything, is there anything you would like to try for at Flathead, like Cutthroat, Rainbow Brown Trout or Lake Trout or some other fish? Because you usually have to use different methods to target them. Do you have down riggers? Welcome to the site.
WH2
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Welcome to BFT![/quote]
Thanks for the welcome and yes, all of the above.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Since this is a nation wide fishing board, I'm not familiar with Georgetown Lake, is that in Montana? I see you want to fish for just about anything, is there anything you would like to try for at Flathead, like Cutthroat, Rainbow Brown Trout or Lake Trout or some other fish? Because you usually have to use different methods to target them. Do you have down riggers? Welcome to the site.
WH2[/quote]
Yes Georgetown is in Montana. It is just about 15 minutes from where I live. A small 2 by 3 mile lake but packed with good fishing. As to what I want to try for at Flathead Lake, I think I will shoot for the big big mouth bass and some perch. Love the taste. A little boney but really good I hear. Never used a down rigger before. I have always just fished the old fashioned way. Rod and reel and muscle.
[signature]
I am not familiar with the lakes you mentioned. If the fish are deep then the down riggers and lead core line will be your best bet at getting at them. For bass look for structure and cast spinnerbaits or plastics to it and retrieve.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I am not familiar with the lakes you mentioned. If the fish are deep then the down riggers and lead core line will be your best bet at getting at them. For bass look for structure and cast spinnerbaits or plastics to it and retrieve.[/quote]
Thanks for the tips. What about dipsy divers? The Flathead Lake is in NW Montana outside of Kalispell at one end and Polson at the other. It is approx. 30 miles long by 14 miles wide and has some fairly large game fish in it. Great sport fishing and tournament territory. It runs really deep in spots.
[signature]
If your fishing for bass or perch, you won't need dipsy divers but if you are targeting trout, then they will work but they only go down to 20 ft to 30 ft. You can catch bows and cutts at that depth but lake trout will likely be deeper.
[signature]
Never used them before.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]If your fishing for bass or perch, you won't need dipsy divers but if you are targeting trout, then they will work but they only go down to 20 ft to 30 ft. You can catch bows and cutts at that depth but lake trout will likely be deeper.[/quote]
Yeah. Georgetown Lake is fairly shallow going to only about 16 feet in some places and even then the bottom is pretty grassy. Flathead on the other hand is deep and can stand going down deep for the bigger boys. What ya got there in your picture? That one looks nice.
[signature]
The picture in my avatar is a 9 lb, 27" wiper(hi-bred cross between a stripper and a white bass), the picture in my profile is a 40" Tiger Musky: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/com...perhunter2
[signature]