Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Access to the west side of willard
Anyone know if the road is open yet?
[signature]
I haven't been back there but according to everything I've read, it will not be open until Nov if we are lucky.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I haven't been back there but according to everything I've read, it will not be open until Nov if we are lucky.[/quote]

Im sure it will be open before NOV, the duck hunt opens October 4th so im sure they will have it opened up then to allow access to herald crane &rainbow unit
[signature]
I'm not sure why you say that because if construction is not finished, I can't imagine they will open up that area, just to let hunters in there, while big heavy equipment is moving around. This is likely a multi million dollar project, so to let hunters in there while they are doing the work could be dangerous, unless they are finished with that section. I guess it all comes down to how long it will take, if they are done with that section by the time hunting season starts, I see no reason why it will not be open. One the other hand,the way projects like this work, it would not surprise me, if it does not open by Nov 1 or later.
[signature]
I saw those rock haulers last week when I was checking out the water level. Are they working on the dike?
[signature]
Go let your skin get a little thicker, then come back to play.
[signature]
What can a fella say except wow!
[signature]
Yes, they have been working on raising the dike for several months. I have had several talks with the Willard state park manager about this and today I talked to a guy with the Department of Reclamation. I was informed by both of these men that it is unlikely they will be done before the end of Oct. Like most government projects they rarely finish on schedule but that does not mean it can not happen.
[signature]
[quote Northman]Go let your skin get a little thicker, then come back to play.[/quote]

[#800000]Not sure if this comment is directed at me or not, But if so, Trust me my skin is plenty thick especially for the internet forums...[/#800000]

[quote wiperhunter2]I'm not sure why you say that because if construction is not finished, I can't imagine they will open up that area, just to let hunters in there, while big heavy equipment is moving around. This is likely a multi million dollar project, so to let hunters in there while they are doing the work could be dangerous, unless they are finished with that section. I guess it all comes down to how long it will take, if they are done with that section by the time hunting season starts, I see no reason why it will not be open. One the other hand,the way projects like this work, it would not surprise me, if it does not open by Nov 1 or later.[/quote]

because herald crane is one of the largest and most popular Waterfowl hunting areas local & they probably don't want a bunch of anger hunters upset that they aren't allowed to hunt the land they pay to maintain and regulate just like 90% of the guys on here would be upset if both north/south marina was closed to Willard during boating seasons...

Also, there has been a fence up along the dike for quite some time now that will still separate the public from the construction that's going on.

again this is just my 0.02 on the matter
[signature]
My comments were directed to Not_nowitall. His post has been deleted.
[signature]
Northman was replying to a new member that made a post slamming me for my reply to you. His reply was to that person and not directed at you. Because of its negative nature it was deleted. Also, I hope you realize I in no way was saying I'm correct in what I'm saying, just that there is a real chance that that section could be closed this hunting season. After talking to the people I mentioned, I still believe that it could be closed but I'll take a wait and see attitude because it all depends on how fast the project progress goes. The guy I talked to yesterday from the Bureau of Reclamation said they should be doing that section at Freeway Bay by Oct and if they are hauling fill material into that area by way of the North marina, I can't imagine why that area by the SW corner would still be closed but again, we are dealing with the government here and there is a chance they will keep it closed, until the project is complete.
[signature]
Although I don't think they would hold up something as big as Waterfowl season but that is just a guess. With that being said there are other ways in there and you can run a boat down the channel from the south.
[signature]
LOL, never said they were going to hold up Waterfowl season, just said there is a real chance they will keep the SW corner of Willard closed until they are done. According to Spenser Strain with the Bureau of Reclamation, he is overseeing this project, they have no obligation to keep that area open during hunting season, except to the Air boat club and he thought that was on the North side of Willard. He said he was going to let me know what, if anything, he found out about it being opened or closed during hunting season but I have yet to hear from him.
[signature]
With the youth duck hunt this Saturday 9/19 it would be nice to know if the road is open to Harold Crane.
[signature]
I haven't been back there in a while, I'd suggest you take a drive and check it out, hopefully someone else will responds. I guess the DWR should know, if the hunt is that close.
[signature]