Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing the North fork of the duchesne
I took my eleven year old grandson fly fishing on the North fork of the duchesne river yesterday. The wind was the biggest problem for someone trying to learn how to handle a fly rod. It blew hard the entire time we were fishing.
We first tried a small Adams with a pheasant tail nymph dropper with no luck. Changed over to a small caddis with a bead head fox tail nymph. The dropper produced two small 10 inch rainbows. ( beautifully colored)
My grandson had fun even with the challenging conditions. Just wondering if anyone had any advice for us to try on our next outing. Thanks for the advice.
[signature]
The north fork is tough to fish. I have always had much better luck on the west fork. Lots of private property on both but if you stay in the river from the access points and are respectful most of the land owners don't care.

As strange as it sounds I have had the best luck on wet flys and nymphs on either stream. Dry flys have never really produced except on the upper west fork.

Try double nymphing with a beadhead zugbug size 10-14 and a 16-20 hare's ear behind it. Soft hackle wet flys have always produced as well. If you go up the West fork above the Moon Ranch property onto the forest you will have much better luck on dry flys. Royal wulffs, yellow humpys and other attractor patterns do well. This time of year the hoppers and ants will produce as well.
[signature]
Bigger Royal Wulfs and Humpys on top with a caddis pupae dropper has worked all summer.
[signature]