Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats on the Colorado 7-31
When traveling through Ruby canyon this morning I noticed that the Colorado had a nice clarity to it so I decided to load up the gear, stop at cabelas for bait and head back to Westwater to do a little cat fishin. Glad I did.

The river has had two weeks of no weather per se so it has had time to calm down. It was very clear. I went to rig up my baitcaster and found the reel was dead. Wouldn't crank up, handle moved but no spool action. I just happened to have a new reel to replace the 20 year old one. So I transferred the line and re rigged with some chub meat. Threw it out and wham.... Fish on. Nice small cookie cutter cat. Caught two more in that size range around foot longs. Ran out of bait two to three hours later and packed it up and headed back to Grand Junction. Great day for kitty fishing. May have been small but they put up a good fight. Lots of rafters on the river today so I set up just west of the launch ramps. Great spot with a nice transition zone.
[signature]
Looks like you had a fun day, Did you happen to notice what the lower green looked like on the way down?
[signature]
The usual nice and muddy.
[signature]
Well dang it all, been hearing tales of walleye and smallmouth down low and got the itch to run down and check it out. might do it anyway just for adventure.
Thanks
[signature]
Keep in mind I only see it from a railroad bridge. It may be different in other areas.
[signature]
I wasa tempted to go down to the Deloris River where it dumps into the Colorado but resisted.
[signature]