Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco are running at Bear Lake + latest ice conditions
[size 1]BEAR LAKE FISHING REPORT -New update 1/15/2004

Updated Thursday, 1/15/2004. The Bear Lake is approximately 95% ice covered and the ice is about ½ to 1" thick. The ice is not safe at this time and it will likely be unsafe this coming weekend. Access down to the shoreline is available at 150 S. Street in Garden City and in front of the Ideal Beach Resort in Garden City. There is a charge to access through this private property, however, they have provided a plowed road down to the edge of the ice. A four wheel drive is recommended and even with that it is still a rough ride down to the water’s edge in both locations. In other parts of the lake there is anywhere from 12" to 18" of snow around the lake.

The cisco started to run this morning (Thursday) along Cisco Beach and should continue for the next 10-14 days. There have been no cisco seen along the State Park marina but that could change in the next few days. The ice along Cisco Beach and the marina is only about one inch thick so it is not safe to stand on. You will have to bring an axe or a spud bar to chop a hole through the ice in order to dip the fish. It is advised to wear hip boots or waders in order to stay dry if your feet slip into the water. If you do not own a cisco net then it might be wise to buy one soon. Some of the bigger sporting goods stores and local tackle shops around the lake stock "cisco/smelt nets", but once they sell out, then they rarely get in more nets before the run is over. Remember the daily limit and possession limit is 30 cisco. That means that once you catch 30 cisco that is your limit. Unless you eat those fish or use them for bait, then you are not allowed to posess any additional cisco. Many anglers think they can keep 30 fish each day and store the remainder in their freezer....that is NOT correct and you will be ticketed! The Bear Lake office of Wildlife Resources began monitoring the Cisco Beach and State Park marina area on a daily basis last weekend. You can listen to daily reports by calling the office after 4:00pm. The number is 435-946-8501. PLEASE ONLY CALL AFTER 4:00PM.[/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I may try to come up this weekend.
[signature]
Thanks again for the great info!! I am all over it this weekend! Do they only show up at the marina and at cisco beach or could I get them from the shore in the ideal beach area??
[signature]
When the lake is up they are everywhere there is rocky shoreline. However, I expect them only at Cisco Beach this year. If they do show up at the marina I'd be surprised due to how low the water is and not a lot of rock in the water there. You won't go wrong at Cisco Beach.
[signature]
Not nearly as many Cisco showed up at the marina last year as the year before. Last year the water barely made it to the dike rocks. The year before it was well into the rocks. Last year there wasn't any ice. The year before there was open water around the dikes with ice chunks and sheets of ice floating around. I'm sure the lack of Cisco had something to do with the water not being up to the rocks or the lack of ice, but I'm sure it was one or the other, or both. We'll find out this year. The waters not up to the rocks, but there's plenty of ice.
[signature]