Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Kicker placement Not sure
Ok I finally broke down and bought a 8hp merc used four stroke. Now I am worried about the placement. How do I know if I need to buy a kicker motor attachment to put it on. Or can I just put it next to the 50hp merc I have. This is all new to me. And I am picking it up tomorrow. is there so many inches you need to have away from each motor. I know there is an attachment you can buy to connect both motors. And how is the best way to anchor it to the boat. All so do I leave it up when I run the 50 hp or put it down. Sorry so dumb on this. It's all new to me. I have a 16 ft Sylvan Alum with top deck and steering on the side. I have used my MInn to troll in the past. So this is a new deal to an old guy. Thanks for any help and suggestions..
[fishin]
[signature]
I would post the same question on the iboats forum.
They have a specific section on just such matters.
just my 2cents
[signature]
PM Sent
[signature]
I'll take some pics of my Sylvan tomorrow, so you can get an idea on how it should look but I'll go over some of your questions. Unless you don't have enough clearance on either side of your main motor, I would just mount it on your transom. The way to know if you have clearance is to set the motor on the transom, to see if it will fit. If it sits flush on the transom and does not hit on your side rail or your main motor, then it should work but you do need a little clearance to turn the motors from side to side. Also, once you buy a connecting rod, you should be able to turn both motors from side to side, without them hitting. Mine works fine in one direction but when I crank it hard the other way, the rod contacts the corner of my main motor cowling. I don't see this as a big issue in most cases but it could be, if I forced it to contact the cowling repeatedly. Instructions come with the connecting rod, on how to connected it to both motors. You do not leave you kicker motor down, when running your main motor. FYI, if you have auto pilot on your Minn kota, you can still use it to steer your boat, thats what I do with mine and it works great.
[signature]
OK, here are the pics I promised, the distance between the main motor and my kicker is 7 inches and the distance between the kicker and the side rail is 5 inches. I've got a bunch of pics that show the ball, where the rod connects to both motors and how it looks before and after the rod connects. Also, I noticed you asked a question on the national boat and motor board and to answer your question, it does not matter which side you have your kicker on, as long as you have clearance to mount it, either side is fine. If I remember right you live near me, I can stop by and tell you how it looks for mounting your kicker on the transom, if you like.
[signature]
looks like we have the same setup on the back. Thanks Curt for the pictures this will help a lot
Rick
[signature]