Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead Sunday
I got no pics 'cause I was guiding, but I took a couple guys out Sunday to get on Boils. We found them scattered pretty much everywhere in the Boulder Basin.

Some schools were bigger than others, some were more tightly packed, some were loose, but they were all biting.

Open water boils were harder to approach than the boils in big coves. I would suggest not spending too much time chasing around the open water fish if you can. The fish in coves seem to stay corralled in the cove, and you will likely catch more if you can find them.

We caught most of our fish on various sized spooks, but smaller baits got more bites.

We talked to some guys at the fish cleaning station that got 75 fish that morning. They were fishing with small 2" sassy shads and the like. They got big numbers, but lots of dinks.

Most of our fish were 2-3 pounds. Only had 2 dinks all day throwing the spooks, but we didnt get close to landing 75 fish. Lots of lost fish, lots of blow ups that didnt result in a hook-up. That's the nature of topwater fishing sometimes. Still left with a cooler full.

All in all, it was a great day out there. Fast fishing action, beautiful weather, besides it being hotter than crap AND humid, and we left by about 11 am when all the crazies started showing up. Looked like Havasu during spring break when we were leaving.
[signature]
Awesome, thanks for the report. I need to do some boil fishing, so much excitement. I'm glad you guys had a good day out there!
[signature]
Awesome. Better than we did Saturday for sure. We just did the live bait thing and hid under the Bimini for shade. Too hot for me to be out chasing boils and sitting under that sun.

Tom
[signature]
Tom, we saw you on Saturday. We kept drifting past in our white center console. Drifting was the key to finding active fish.

The best bite on Sunday was out in open water by the red/white channel marker.

We caught about 100 stripers.

Whizzle, we're you with Peewee on Saturday?

We were with the group of boats at 8 mile. Fishing was good over there for most of the day too.
[signature]
Hey Whizzle were you fishing in the area between Saddle island and the wash or another part of Boulder Basin ? What time do you show up like 5:00 am?
[signature]
Hey Iamthesmf where is the red/.white channel bouy ? Where about in the lake and what depth are you guys fishing ? I have a bunch of shad I froze and would like to try it out vs anchovies. And is most of your success in the morning or evening or at night? Going out next week for an over nighter and wanted to chase boils as well as some bait drift fishing. I will be in the swallow bay area but can motor over to anywhere in the lake. Any help would be appreciated Thanks
[signature]
Between Crawdad/Boxcar and Fish hatcher.
We caught fish from 8am until 4pm.

The fish were suspended from 30ft to 80ft in 140ft
Drifting thru schools of fish vs anchor was better.
Carolina rig with 1/0 hook and 1oz egg weights.
[signature]
Same general area for me other than I anchor locked slightly east of the outhouse cove verse drifted the entire area. Should of moved around chasing them verse waiting for each wave to come through. Fished 3 rigs between 50 and 80 feet in 110+ foot of water. I set my sonar upper lever to 30 feet so wasn't looking as far up in the water column so didn't really see/notice the activety higher up. 1oz inline with a 1/0 wide gap trailing below.

Next time drift and lighten up on setting the upper sonar limit. First time I have ever targeted a Striper in the Summer and some differences from Winter fishing to be learned...

Tom
[signature]
Not sure who Peewee is- I took out my drumming agent and and his son. We were out Sunday, not saturday.

We fished more towards the mouth of the wash, but we never motored over towards 8 mile/crawdad where the boils were really going strong. Got some good action in $h**house cove, but most of our fish came away from the bank as the sun came up.

We launched at 4am in the dark.
[signature]