Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a new Battery
I have a 16' Bass Tracker Panfish boat. The boat has two batteries, one for the electric trolling motor and the other for starting the outboard motor and the fish finder. The boat has a electric outlet to plug into to charge both batteries which I do every time the day before taking it out.

Went to Strawberry yesterday (Renegade) go to start the motor and it will hardly turn over, dead battery. So I try the electric trolling motor and no problem. When we first launched it was a little breezy so I'm thinking I don't want to get to far from the launch area. Also I didn't feel like changing the battteries around. But then remember I have jumper cables back in the truck so I go and get them and jump the two batteries and walla the motor starts right up. But I'm still concerned about going to far away from the marina. All in all the day turned out okay. We did manage to catch a few mostly Cutts (all in the slot) and one Rainbow.

When I get home I check the receipt that I kept when I bought the batteries. They had a two year replacement warranty. GUESS WHAT THE WARRANTY EXPIRED 7 DAYS AGO. Damn the luck.

So any reccomendations on batteries. The last ones I bought were from Walmart. [url "http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Group-Size-29-Marine-Battery/20531539"]EverStart Maxx Marine Battery, Group Size 29DC[/url]
[signature]
Those Everstart MAXX batteries are surprisingly good for the price. I use them in the camp trailer etc. For the boats I get more serious. I've had great success with the Cabela's AGM batteries. They're on sale now, as they usually are, around $150 to $180 each.

Probably the nicest thing you can do for your batteries is to charge them back up as soon as you get home, and not let them sit around partially discharged.
[signature]
I use a Battery Tender when stored. My Walmart batts are from 2006 and still strong.
[signature]
As has been stated, I think your batteries would last you a lot longer if you charged them right when you get home.
[signature]

I used interstate batteries and they lasted me 11 years. Always charge them after you use them, they will last a lot longer. Keep the water level full, fill the water after you charge them or the water will flow over during the charge.
[signature]
This reminds me I haven't had mine on the charger for a couple of months. I may need to check them and charge them again.
[signature]