Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard....Sunday 30th
Tried to get this report in Monday, but kept getting sidetracked.
Needed just a few more fish for the family Birthday Fish Fry next Sunday (13th). Got to the WB north ramp just before it was light enough to see good, but by the time I got everything in launch condition, I could see the buoys from the ramp so figured it was light enough.
I didn't fill my boat gas tank when I returned from UL last Saturday, so figured I had enough to run to the south wall, but not enough to wander - troll all over the water.

Set the anchor out pretty darn close to same place I was the Sunday before. That Sunday my almost new bait to try was mussel meat, and did fairly well. So this past Sunday my experimental bait was Swedish Fish candy. They had worked surprisingly well at UL on Friday, but they were a bust at WB Sunday. Maybe the Cats at WB are more selective in what they eat?

Anyway, did manage to boat 3 Cats worthy of taking home, so called it a day about 1130.

Now, I just plain hate covering all that water from south wall to north marina without at least a lure dragging behind me. So not with any real expectations, I put out 2 rat-l-traps that I am positive have never been wet. [mad]
Well I'll be danged, within just a couple minutes of getting them out, my inside rod bent almost double and the drag sang that course we all love to hear. Good fight, boated #1 Wiper. Didn't weigh or measure cause bump board I'm working on was at home in the garage [:/].
Barely got the first one settled into the live well, and the boat on a straight on heading up the middle, and the outside pole did an imitation of the first one. Wiper # 2 boated. Not quite as big, but fat.

Went home with the purpose for being there to begin with 3 Cats 2 Wipers for the fish fry.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Great report. [cool]
[signature]
That RatTrap was one of my faves this year! We boated a ton of wipers and none came on the infamous "fire tiger". good ole silver and black did it for us again! I need to get back out and hook on to a few more before I go into all out waterfowl mode!
[signature]
how was the water clarity?
[signature]
Water at Willard is never the ultimate best, but Sunday it was not as bad out near the middle away from the south inlet. I could see the Trolling Plate on my motor, about 18 inches under water, and maybe just a bit deeper.
[signature]

Cool
HD, saw a flat boat with the long shaft coming out of the north marina about 1:30 Sunday, too far away for me to see the occupants, but thought maybe it might have been you.
[signature]

Cool
Naw, I have a short shaft motor. We were out there a week or so ago, but didn't actually fish. I did some boat maintenance and had to give her a test drive and let the kiddos swim a bit. I've been jonesing to get a line in the water ever since!
[signature]
Nice job Forest sounds like a great trip.... Going to be a great fish fry I reckon... Have to love a couple unexpected visitors.... Later J
[signature]