Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing Colorado in the spring???
I'm going to be heading down to Boulder Colorado this coming spring so if anyone can help me out what lakes and river would be great to fly fish at I'd appreciate it?

Will be taking my float tube with me.
[signature]
There are lots there to fish, just look at a map, it's really not that difficult. Pay very close attention to the regs wher ever you fish. They are not as cut and dry as UT's.
[signature]
All depends on how far you are willing to travel fro Boulder. Also depends on what "spring" means. March? May? Boulder Creek runs through town from the canyon above, all accessible. South Boulder Creek, just south of town, naturally. Clear creek, 1/2 hour south. The whole South Platte system a couple hours south and west. Tons of water of all types. To the north, St. Vrain, 30 minutes. Big Thompson, a little more north, coming out of Estes Park. The list goes on and on. Runoff will vary in each drainage, and they're endless draining the east slope of the mountains there.

The best thing is to contact Front Range Anglers in Boulder before and during your trip for the latest and greatest. Local knowledge is always best.
[signature]
I'm not sure which month just trying to get details what time of year is the best time and where can I catch some big fish. Anywhere from 1-2 would be fine because I got a friend to join me on the trip.
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]I'm not sure which month just trying to get details what time of year is the best time and where can I catch some big fish. Anywhere from 1-2 would be fine because I got a friend to join me on the trip.[/quote]

If you are going to go the end of March and first part of April and are willing to drive to the dream stream....PM me. I can give you directions a 5 year old could follow to catch fish like the one in the attached photo. Both years I was living in the Springs I caught 6-8 lbers that time of year. Just have to be willing to beat the crowds there in the morning to get the right holes or you're screwed for the day.
[signature]
^ what he said! I would add be ready to work as well. dont get too frustrated. you will see a tank looking at your fly and just not take it. Take your time and make your presentation perfect and you should do just fine. Also the crowds... lol you really want to get there early enough to beat the crowds. A great number of folks will hole sit in one spot all day long.
[signature]
"Dream Stream--Like Fly Fishing in New York City--only more crowded."
[signature]
its the same with Deckers! The upper Ark is alot better when you want to get away from everyone, or if you are feeling really froggy you could fish the Elk.. there is a chance on the Elk you would not see another person for a few days
[signature]
Combat fishing at its best I guess. Personally the dream stream is the only place I wont get pissed at another angler walking right up to where I am at. Its pretty much a standard deal there.....glad I've moved for that reason.

I prefer the water above antero or spinney but when the hogs are in the post hole right above 11 mile is pretty hard to beat for size. Just plan on being there by sun up and not leaving it or people will be in to fish it by the time you blink.

Also out of the springs I like fishing Beaver Creek Below Skagway. Not huge fish but more of the fishing setting I prefer. Less people and more fish.
[signature]
Skagway is cool and fun as hell! if your in that area again, try right above, or right below Brush hollow. same as Skagway, no monsters but fun as hell. a great place to introduce kids or younger folks to fly fishing. plus, with Brush Hollow, the scenery is awesome
[signature]