Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead from shore
Any suggestions on a good place to fish from shore out at the lake. Someplace easy to get to in a passenger car, that i dont have to hike a mile to water. I've been bass fishing floyd lamb all summer,with great success and want to try some where new. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
I hate to say it but your options are none imo. You are going to really have to hike it. Park at one of the overlooks in the wash, pack light and start hiking. I tried for years from shore before getting a boat and it isn't easy...

Your best option for new scenery and what we did before boat ownership is head to Utah and Sand Hollow.

Tom
[signature]
Thanks. That's kind of what i figured. I guess I'll have to stick to the local ponds or driving a couple hours to fish.
[signature]
Gunlock res just outside of at George is another option. The state is getting ready to rotenone it to get rid of the smallies so all the regs have been relaxed.
[signature]
Thanks albino. Thats kind of what I meant about driving to fish. I've made a couple trips to sand hollow for bass, and Beavers one of my favorite places for trout fishing. Guess I'll just have to spend more time in Utah.
[signature]
[cool]I have seen passenger cars that were driven to government wash. I believe that you could do it slowly and watching the road. The hikes down from the various overlooks are not that awful bad. I have been doing them for years with a floattube,waders,and four rods even in the summer. I guess it is just what you are willing to do for some fishing time. I didn't mind the work because the rewards could be great,especially during the boils. Good luck on your adventure.
[signature]
I caught stripers from shore at South Cove in Jan.
[signature]
Thanks E, I've done government wash before and it wasn't that bad. I've fished a few times up around echo bay also, but was just wondering what my options were out there.
[signature]
Stewarts Point is fairly accessible, as is Kingman wash. I've driven both in 2wd, and you can get pretty close to the water. Not too sure of the state of the road to Kingman wash, been a few years since I went down there.

There is a spot just East of the Hemminway/Lake Mead Marina Docks. Just follow the dirt roads toward Lake Mead Marina and go as far as you can. It gets you pretty close to fishable water.

South Cove on the far East side of the lake can have some stellar fishing, with some decent shore access a short hike away. It's far enough from town that not too many people head that way.
[signature]
Thanks whizzle. I'll be sure to keep those in mind. South cove sounds like what I'm looking for cuz the second best part of fishing is the serenity of being out there.
[signature]
Can anyone confirm if you are allowed to fish at Boulder Beach? If so, how is the fishing? Are you able to net shad from the shore there?

So far I have only shore fished from the Government Wash area, but would like to try some new areas.

I've attached a few pictures of the spots I would like to try but want to know what people think of them, assuming they have fished from them recently. Let me know if you can give me any insight on the spots below. Thanks!

Hole 33 - http://i.imgur.com/ioymLjv.png
Have heard a lot of good things about this spot, but with the water levels being so low, not sure how good it is these days. I'm sure water levels are even lower than the picture I attached. This spot would also be more of a hike than the other ones I have listed.

Sunset View Overlook - http://i.imgur.com/87v9dYL.png
I have no idea how the fishing is here. I think I learned about this spot from a youtube video, but don't have any information on it. Looks like this would also be more of a hike.

Boulder Beach - http://i.imgur.com/7XvnDvu.png
I like this spot because of how easy it seems to get to, but again, don't have any information on what the fishing is like, or if it's even allowed.

Government Wash - http://i.imgur.com/yg9k3sP.png
I do like this spot, and I can just about pull right up to the water in the top right section (4x4 Jeep). I haven't been able to net any shad here yet, but I have only tried once and it was mostly just me practicing on how to throw the cast net. I have caught huge Carp, nice Catfish and some Stripers in this location. However it can be busy sometimes and there is a lot of trash around. I have never tried the circled section on the left but would like too. Not sure if it is too shallow at this point though.
Read through this post - it will answer a lot of your questions.

Yes, it is legal to fish the Boulder Beach area, but the fishing there can be hit or miss.
[#400080]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=809483;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]Lake Mead Fishing Info[/url][/#400080]
[signature]
I was at hole 33 on shore last night from 5-8pm and caught 1 baby catfish on anchovies and 2 healthy 3lb striper on a strike king red eye shad

It was easily a 10 minute hike from the parking lot to where I caught fish..tons of top water activity in the area just before sunset
[signature]
[quote Q-tip]I was at hole 33 on shore last night from 5-8pm and caught 1 baby catfish on anchovies and 2 healthy 3lb striper on a strike king red eye shad

It was easily a 10 minute hike from the parking lot to where I caught fish..tons of top water activity in the area just before sunset[/quote]

Welcome aboard, and thank you for posting.
[signature]