Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any utah resident register their boats in WY?
Hello. Long time lurker first time poster. Wondering if any Utah residents register their boats in WY which is much cheaper. I currently have a inflatable boat which is about 12 ft. I want to put a trolling motor on it which means I'll have ti register the boat. $59 a year is what it will cost me while only $15 if I register it in wyoing. I don't have a money tree or a silver spoon so any savings I can get would be great. So wondering of any of yall have done this. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the site Jiggy81. I considered it years ago but then I heard they changed the requirement and you needed a permanent address, not just a PO Box number to license your boat there, so I gave up on that idea. Before they made the change lots people from Utah did it. Of course, if you have a place in Wy or have family there, it might work but I still wonder what they would say when they check your fishing license and notice your boat is from out of state[:/].
WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I did more research on it and I found this.

Boat Residency Requirements Non-residents may apply for a registration if the boat is located within the State of Wyoming
http://www.marinetitle.com/boat-registra...yoming.htm

Doesn't state anywhere or on the application that you need to have a wyoming address.. I would try it but I'm getting my trolling motor tomorrow and plan on fishing sunday. Won't be able to get my registration paper til 10 days. I read in wyoming you can also operate a unregistered boat for 30 days after buying it as long as you have proof of purchase any such law in utah? I think I'm gonna try to register my boat in wyoming by mail. Worst case scenario with that is they send me my money back and reject my papers since I don't live in wyoming
[signature]
I doubt that anyone is going to reply that they are Utah residents and they are licensing their boat in Wyoming. Wouldn't this be admitting that they are violating Utah state law?

A few years ago, a fellow BFT member wrote in a post on here about having some live minnows at his home. As a result of his post, he got a visit from a UDWR officer and got a ticket.
[signature]