Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk Extended Archery Help!!
This is the first year that I have attempted to stick an elk with my bow and I need some help with where to hunt them during the extended hunt.
I am not looking for your "go to spot", just looking for some direction on where and when to start looking.

I would love to shoot a bull but a cow will fill the freezer just fine.

You can PM me if you don't want an army of lookers descending on your area.
[signature]
Jethro, now that the snow has started to fly, hit the Side canyons up Emmigration Canyon, the areas up Parleys Canyon, and even WAY up Farmington Canyon.

I mean WAY at the tops of long ridges away from roads, in the snow, but not in the really deep stuff. Lots of the Wasatch Front has elk, but honestly your first hunt will likely be a hike. Imagine, for instance driving up the the first loop of Farmington Canyon and looking straight up the hill to the North, to the very top of the long east/west ridge directly above you. The top of the mountain above the road. They will be in places like that, above the snow line, on oakbrush and aspen, and more open hillsides that face south. WAY up there.

As the snow deepens, they will be farther and farther down the face, but still not usually up the canyon, rather, way out on the south faces. Take hiking boots and optics. You'll probably first have to locate them and THEN hunt them. Good luck!
[signature]
The Uinta Basin might be a bit easier hunt if the hunt for elk is still on over there.
[signature]