Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polarized Sun Glasses
Does anyone have suggestions on what brand and color lens of polarized sun glasses work best for viewing the fish finder display.

I have noticed that when out in the boat I have a hard time getting a clear and crisp view of the display. If the angle of the display or the way the sun hits the screen changes some times it will improve, but its always better if I slip my polarized glasses down and look over them.

The same thing happens when viewing the digital display in my truck.

Any suggestions? I don't want to not protect my eyes from the sun and hooks.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
To be honest, two facts:

One, you don't really need polarized glasses when fishing from a boat unless you are sight-casting in the shallows. (In which case you aren't using your fish finder anyway.) Just standard tinted lenses are fine.

Two: With few exceptions at the high-price end of such units, fish finders have plastic screens which are notorious for "blacking out" through polarized lenses. Dashboards, gas pumps, and even some phones have the same problem.
[signature]
Thanks RockyR,

So are you saying non-polarized sun glasses may work better for seeing the display? But would they still protect my eyes from the harmful effects of the sun.

Ah, gas pumps, I have noticed that too.

Brian
[signature]
I watch my Lowrance sonars and GPS all day, 120 days a year, through my polarized lenses. I fill my boat with gas daily using a digital gas pump with my polarized glasses on. I never go outside without them, and certainly never on or near water without them. i drive between 20,000 and 25,000 miles per year all over the west, wearing my polarized glasses the entire time unless its dark and away from city lights. I leave them on when I stop to re-fuel. I leave them on when I stop to check messages or texts on my phone. (NO texting/messaging/surfing and driving!) I have no problem reading the dash displays or my window mounted gps in the truck. My professional ophthalmologist says non-polarized lenses do not protect my eyes from certain damaging rays and reflections, and to always wear my polarized glasses outside.

I wear both Gray and Drivewear Transitions lenses from Habervision in Golden, Colorado. Polarized RX bi-focals. I have a special pair of gray ones with a high bi-focal just for looking at the sonar.

Draw your own conclusions.
[signature]
All due respect, Jim, but your eyes may require something different than anybody else.

For most folks, a pair of non-polarized glasses may be fine as long as they are rated to block both UV-A and UV-B rays. Color and degree of tint are up to the individual. Browns and dark oranges are good for blocking out blue tones. Green is a good all-round outdoor color, and so is dark gray or smoke.

How dark is better may surprise you. The eye is like a camera lens in that the smaller the iris/pupil the deeper the depth of field. Shooters have learned that the lightest tint they can wear without squinting gives them the best focal field from near to far. Too dark a lens actually restricts how well we can see.

Edit to add what I thought I had written but didn't: If your eye doctor tells you something different, do what he says.
[signature]
This is an interesting reply I received when I posted the same question on the Bass Boat Central Forum.

[#0000ff]Quote:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 2]
[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 2]The LCD displays have a somewhat polarized effect, but not horizontally like sunglasses are.
Sunglasses are made to lessen horizontal glare.

Humminbird displays have the "polarization" on a 45 degree slant from top right to lower left.
When wearing sunglasses and you tilt your head to the right, it basically shuts off the light transmission.
You typically do that when the display is to the right.

Lowrance screens have the same slant. Garmin is opposite.

Hold you glasses in front of the display and tilt them left and right to see the effect. The screen will be brighter with the glasses tilted left (polarization is the same), somewhat dim when level, and blacked out tilted right (polarization is 90 degrees of each other).

To lessen the effect, you can position the display with the right side lower than the left and you probably won't tilt your head enough to block out all the light.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have to agree with RockyRaab. I have bought high end polarized glasses in the past and had a hard time seeing my sonars through them. I think if you fish streams and shallow water you can't beat them. But I have not used them in 6 years and don't find them nessesary. I do the bulk of my fishing from a boat.
[signature]
been wearing the same sportsmens 25$ models the last year and haven't had any problems looking at my humminbird - dark black tinted lenses

I never fish without them - you miss too much of whats going on under the surface
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have several old pairs of sun glasses, maybe I will grab them, go outside and sit in the boat and try each one on while looking at the FF display to see which ones work best.

It won't be the first time the neighbors have seen me outside just sitting in my boat eating my lunch, adjusting rod holders, or raising and lowering my downrigger balls. Last year I re-carpeted the boat, and I was out there so much working on the boat that they started calling me Noah.
[signature]
too funny man, i did my carpet a few years back - i can relate - project took a whole lot more time and effort than i would have ever thought !
[signature]