Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to tell trolling depth
Hiya All,
Will be trolling for the first time next Friday at Strawberry. Bro in law bought a new fishfinder and trolling motor. As we will not be using downriggers, how do I approximate the depth of my lures? I have read about using lead core line, and the only "formula" I found was a mention of 150" of line reaching about 30" depth. The author wasn't insinuating any formula, really, but mentioned those numbers as a by the way.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, could I use lead core line on a spinning rod/reel? Or must I use a baitcaster?

Haven't been fishing for over a month and can't wait until our trip. . .
[signature]
Many trolling books cover that question and it depends on many variables like:
1) Trolling speed.
2) Type of lure.
3) Weight of line.
4) Resistance curve on the line. (the more line you let out the less it drops)
As a rule of thumb figure 5ft of depth for every color of leaded line out. So if you are marking fish at 30ft. Let out 6 colors to get in the ball park. Then experiment by letting more line out or real in until your into fish.
[signature]
I don't think you will have very good success with lead core on a spinning reel. I would recommend a level wind. Also, I think you'll have better luck if you use a fairly long leader between the lead core and your lure (20' or so).
[signature]
Speed is the part of it.
Here is an interesting way, estimate, say you want to go down 30 feet, guess about that, then troll over a point that comes up say 35 feet and see if you hit bottom, then go over a point at 30 feet, then 25. once you've found it, tie on a new luckycraft again and resume.
[signature]