Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, Wind, and FISH ON!
I launched out of the north marina yesterday about 0730, and the wind was blowing fairly steady from slightly south, south-east (see photo - my BFT Flag standing straight out). It wasn't white capping, so I donned the PFD,(which I do anyway) and headed out. With the wind I didn't figure trolling would be worth the effort, so throttled up (to a whopping 8.5 mph into the wind [:/] ) and headed south - west ish towards the spot just off the feed lot that I have had good luck on the past last 3 or 4 trips.

[inline "(0182) 0752 AM 26 Sept 2015.jpg"]

Bout the time I got down to the Feed lot - Coffer dam area, wind calmed quite a bit. So hooking up 2 of the new lures I got for my birthday, I started dragging them from Freeway Bay west in a slow S turn pattern. I varied my speed from 2.0 to as high as 4.5. changed out lures every 30 min. and after 2 hours and 8 different lures, no luck. Was not too far out of the south marina channel and decided being that close I would do a depth recon ( and use the restroom). Bottom line, if you are launching anything bigger than a Tube, or canoe, or yak, or paddle board, stay out of the south marina. Channel entrance VERY dicey. Deepest part of channel is about 8 ft. but it isn't in the "middle" as it is when the water levels are higher. It is more to the west of center, then at the right turn into the marina it shallows up to 2.4 ft. NONE of the docks are in the water, not even one small corner of the west dock, and my Tin-Can hit bottom at the bow about 2 ft. from the closest piece of dock. Fortunately I was able to shift over and "beach" the front end actually on the far west side ramp, climb out over the bow, and tie up to one of the dock cleats. Yep, the bathrooms were still open, but I doubt they will be for much longer.

OK, got out of the south marina, headed north-west, and had to go a long ways before the depth got more than 7-8 ft. And of course, now the wind had shifted and gotten a bit stronger out of the south-east. I'm near the west wall, so I got to go cross-wind to get to the north marina. Well zigging and zagging, I got up outside the north marina with the intent of calling it a day. But I had not wash a single worm or hooked up a single mussel in over 5 hours on the water. So got up past the north marina entrance, found a spot that was in about 5 ft. of water, had produced some nice cats for me in the past, and dropped anchor. With my newly repaired rod holders in operation [Smile], put out one mussel and one worm. BAM, mussel took a hit almost immediately ! Wiper # 1 boated. Not the 20-21 inch 4 lb. adult one would hope for, but he still hit hard ran fast
gave a great fight, posed for a photo and returned to the water with just a small hole in his lip.

[inline "(0183) 1421 Wiper #1.jpg"]

Over the next 111 minutes, that same action was repeated on an average of every 7.5 minutes, and once had a 2fer going on. Used up all my mussels , and several worms. Last one boated at 4:12 PM, and decided I had done enough for the day. End of day score- my individual best in 11 years of having a boat and fishing Willard. 15 Wiper boated, 3 kept (because they were gill hooked and bleeding) 12 CPR'd.

I read one of the other WB reports from yesterday I think and that person mentioned the ones they kept had empty stomachs. And TubeDude educated us all on possible why's and how's that could happen, thanks Pat. I filleted mine there at the north cleaning station, and I didn't notice much in their stomachs either.

I just may get back up there a bit later today for another go. Still have another bag of mussels in fridge [sly].

[fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice report, thanks! Oh how was the water clarity in the areas you hit?
[signature]
I don't think it has improved much, but with an almost constant wind from light breeze to medium - heavy rollers, was a bit hard to determine.
[signature]

Cool
Forest, when you have been fishing near the feed lot, what depth have you found to be best? Approximately how far from the shore line?

Thanks, RJ
[signature]
You sure know where they are at. A guy from work has never fished Willard and wanted me to help him get a Wiper. So we went Saturday got on the water about 8:30 from the north marina and started trolling. Caught 1 at freeway bay on the old reliable Rat-L-trap blue and grey. Had to hit the head at the south marina also. Headed to the southwest corner he had a tip to go there and soak mussels, had some bites and I caught a kitten on a worm. Hit freeway bay headed home and picked up another wiper and 2 crappie trolling through. Not spectacular but we caught some.
[signature]
I think more luck than knowing where they were. But something that has worked for me once in awhile in the past, go in the direction the wind is blowing. Wind was almost steady towards the north. Got up there off of Eagle beach along the old road bed in about 5 to 7 ft.of water, and since I hadn't had any luck on the south end, thought I would try there. Closer to the marina if I decided to quit.
[:/]
[signature]

Cool
I've been kind of in the center, equal distance from the feed lot and the coffer dam out maybe 200 -250 yards. With as fast as the water level has dropped this summer, my distance out from the wall gets further each trip cause I seem to be finding the fish at a spot that seems to be a slight ridge rise. It runs about parallel to the south wall and in some spots only shows a depth change of 1 ft. maybe 2 at the most. I usually anchor in the shallow area, and cast back to the deeper area. Something about 5 to 7, or 6 to 8 ft. When it has been calm, or wind light and blowing south towards the wall, I do well, blowing north like it was Saturday, not so well, not there anyway.
[signature]

Cool
Thanks. That sounds about the same as I have been doing. Not the same local but in depth. Last couple trips out I have not connected with anything. I guess the difference in a day or two. RJ
[signature]
With the current conditions it's amazing people are catching much at all.
[signature]
Was just my day for some good luck for a change
[signature]

Cool