Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report (Cisco)
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]When Old_Coot got to my place this morning we put some of his things in my SUV & headed up to Bear Lake. Pulled into Cisco Beach around 6:00am, unloaded the gear and I took to making us a hole in the ice. Making sure we were out to at least 4' deep of water. Coot fired up the lantern, and with dip net in the hole we were ready, wasn't but seconds til I was flipping the Cisco out on the ice, Old_Coot was laughing at me.[angelic] I guess he thaught I was faster than them Cisco!! Coot had braught up his NEW poll he made at HFT, and with a flashy spinner he was using it to attrack cisco, it worked too.[/size][/#0000ff][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]Well it wasn't lon before the place was buzzing with people,so after a while we decided to leave, not reaching our limmit, & wanting a reason to come back another day, all in all it was a hoot!! You'll notice in one of my pictures that Old_Coot even braught up a chair, "Got-a love this guy", always thinking of the GOOD life.[Smile] We put about 5 Cisco in little Zip bags, for easy counting purpose: When we got back to my place, we lightly froze a few, then Shrink-wrapped, and dated them. Giving them a nice professional look. So as you can tell once again going fishing with Old_Coot turned out to be a Hoot.[sly][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
looks like you guys had fun. after seeing your pictures I am going to head up there ice fishing next week.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]James, if you do go next week,the main thing is get there early, It seems to slow way up after 8:00 or 8:30. Plus you can pick and choose your area, the earlier you get there. Be ready for when them little dudes swim on in![Smile][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
I have actually never fished for cisco and was getting excited to go for bear lake cutts & macks or white fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Very nice pictures BC. Your digital talents are coming along great![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We did have a BUNCH of fun! That is the first time I have ever netted for cisco. First times for these kinds of experiences are always something one remembers for a long time. We learned much too. BLM had mentioned that we may be getting our cisco this year while pulling a sled rather than floating a boat. Well, he is right. BC and I are now proud owners of a new ice fishing Jet Sled just for this purpose. (Predator, do you know of any other uses for a sled like this other than the cisco run? Heee he.)[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I have to tell you all, this is one cool Internet site. I have learned SO much from so many of you who share good info. It's great to be able to read up-to-the-minute conditions for events like these. Even today, BC and I referred to this link from last year to better care for our cisco bait:[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=26415"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=26415[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Now, I have a question. I would like to cook up a batch of today's cisco catch and have very little idea of the best way to prepare, cook, and enjoy them. Any suggestions? I mean, they are so darnd little, just what do you do? Did I hear something about finding this out at the cisco-disco?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Very nice Old_Coot. Glad you could net a few fish! Smoked cisco are delicous. That's how I would prepare some. Don't know if the macks like them smoked though[Tongue]
[signature]
Oh I like the looks of that!

It would be nice if here in a week or two bear lake was froze up and the ice fishermen were out in force looking to hook up a mac.

May have to be the next BFT event.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I know that, among others, Fish1on has his fingers crossed that he will be able to drill a hole through thick ice out on the rock pile this year. We'll see.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000ff][size 2]Wiperhunter: In answere to your question on how thick the ice is? Where we were at, near Cisco beach in places it was between 2" to 3" depending on bottom structure. But Coot and I had now problem, or wories from ice. As the morning got lighter and more & more people came, still had no problem with ice thickness, except when my dip net hit the ice while trying to lift out some Cisco, it (the ice) stoped me dead in my tracks.[Smile][/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]