Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fish Presentation
I see many people post with some type of castmaster then another lure below 12-18 inches. Do you use a 3 way swivel or what do you do? I need to know so I can see if I need to get anymore gear before I head to the Rock tomorrow. Thanks for the help ahead of time you all rule!
[signature]
Maybe I am just lazy, but I just tie the line that drops down from my Kastmaster to one of the hooks on it. Seems to work fairly well, and I have very few tangles.

Jacob
[signature]
"Money for nothin' and the chicks for free." [cool][cool] Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm in "Dire Straits" here in the inversion.
[signature]
I like to reverse the order with the ice jig first. Then I tie leader to the bend of the hook just before the barb. This way the heavy lure hits the bottom of the lake first and that is when I close the bail. Then I try to keep it as close to the bottom as I can while holding the pole and watching for a strike. The fish will often hit before I can even close the bail and start to real it up of the bottom.DKS
[signature]
At the ice fishing class that was put together at Hooked, it was suggested rather strongly to not use anything except a weighted hook. No attractor! The reason is that when verticle jigging such as icefishing, the fish bite comes from under the hook, moving up to it. When demonstrated, a bite from the bottom will not show any movement in the line or pole unless the fish pushes the hook to the side. The weight of the attractor keeps the line tight while a light bite below the attractor moves the line. This made all kinds of sense, so I have removed all attractors and have been fishing with the hook and bait only. I have caught a lot of fish this winter, the best being at Rockport over the new year holiday. I caught 155 in one day and 52 two days earlier. Don't know how much this technique contributed, but my previous record in any single outing was 64. If the information given out was correct, then you will miss a lot of bites with any kind of weight tied between the pole and hook. But, if what you have been using works, then you know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
[signature]
somebody was actually paying attention?[Smile]Awsome!

But then again every rule was ment to be broken,in the case of perch the jigs are so light that we need a jigging spoon to get it down quicker: thus catching more fish. plus perch tend to pull on the line were trout lift.
[signature]
Sure... I always pay attention, then I try it. I've been using 4 lb test and a small weighted jig. It takes a while to get down, but it also tends to float around a bit when sinking which I think adds to the presentation. I've had to put a small split shot next to the hook in some cases. 4 lb test line or lighter is a must. Thanks for the information at the class. It was nice to know that we have been on track with our fishing techniques.
[signature]
I must weigh in on this as well or at least give some major props to HFT (Hooked) for helping me master the jig when using a foxee jig. I have several techniques that were close, but HFT helped show me a great modification to my routine that worked the very next trip on the ice! I used to jig my foxee up with just one jig then let it settle halfway, then all the way, etc. I caught alot of fish and used this technique with other jigs, i.e. Water Crickets. HFT mentioned to lift the jig up higher, let it settle once, pause, then again, pause, then yet again. That last pause and settle is the dream zone in my opinion. Seems to drive 'em nuts, but be ready, they don't always hit real hard. Might I add.. if you haven't stopped by Hooked to meet HFT... GET YOUR BUTT IN THERE! These guys are THE GUYS when it comes to fishing around here in my opinion. Seems they have helped alot more than me!!!!
[Smile]

Thanks again J - HFT

F4F
[signature]
Here's an option where you can have your cake and eat it too. Use a kastmaster or sweedish pimple with short dropper of about 3 inches or less. Remove the treble hook from the kastmaster and, using some thicker line, say 8 lb test, carefully tie on a #10 straight eyed fly hook to the end of the dropper. Any similar hook without a bend at the eye will work, but it should hang straight down. The short dropper allows you to detect strikes, and avoids line tange on the drop. A "teardrop" type panfish lure instead of the hook will work but the plain hook is a better option as it allows you to pack on wax worms or maggots. A rat finke also works, but, after a missed strike, the jig knot must often be repositioned so the lure hangs properly. The weight of the kastmaster allows you to get down to perch depths quickly which is helpful when schools are on the move and you only have a short period to intercept them. Gotta maximize the number of bites, ya know.

I've used this system for years and it puts perch on the ice. The kasmaster acts as a weight and attractor, while the baited hook triggers the bite. I also catch plenty of trout while using this lure set-up. When fish are picky, you may have to go with a smaller, slower presentation, but for most deep water situations, this system is hard to beat.
[signature]
The best presentation is the one your most confortable or already mastered to a point. Every type of fish like different jigs and lures so it pays to know how to work most set-ups. Take for example perch will hit just about anything but its best to go small. Trout will go for about anything. A easy way to figure what size of jig to use is by measuring how wide the mouth will open. Basically smaller planters go with 1/4" and up to 1" anything bigger 1/4 will work but the hook set will be tougher with the harder mouths. I'd still use 1" to 2" for trout over 15". Lakers bigger isn't always better when ice fishing. The best size is 1" to 3" tubes or comparable jigging spoons.
[signature]