Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing 10-10-2015
Decided to change it up and go and chase the LMB/SMB yesterday. Launched out of Callville. The website says 95% complete. Looked done to me. Luckily there was no tournaments going so pretty much had the place to ourselves at sunrise. Water temp was 77.

Caught a even mix of LMB/SMB/accidental Stripers. The Stripers were all on top water plugs so even though they weren't the targeted species the fun factor was there. Not a ton of fish though. Still very disappointing. The lower lake has really messed up our SMB/LMB catchin'. Nothing like it was several years back and some. The biggest SMB was a surprise. Back in a cove in 3-4 feet of water just off the shoreline. Wasn't expecting that.

Pics as usual [cool]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_001.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_005.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_006.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_007.jpg]

Long hair...

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_009.jpg]

Since the catching wasn't that great decided to do a little tour of the lake. Cut it close. 100 miles is my safe number and the boat showed 106 when we got back to the ramp. In the garage with the nose of the boat cranked down and the key in the ignition the gas gauge didn't even flutter... Betting only a couple gallons at most is in it.

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_011.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_013.jpg]

On the way back to Callville we pulled into Wishing Well Cove. Read something online about that place a ways back so been meaning to check it out. Nice little venture back around and around to get back in there using Trolling Motor power.

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_015.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_016.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_017.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_018.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_021.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_10-10-15_027.jpg]

Tom
[signature]
Great pics, thanks for the report. I'd like to check out wishing well sometime. It reminds me of a spot downriver from Willow.
[signature]
Great pics as always Tom. That wishing well area looks like a nice place to camp but how much shore line do you have there? I bet when the lake is higher there is no shore line. With this report of catching SM and LM you have me wondering, have you ever tried smoking those type of bass?
[signature]
More than enough room for a person to set-up a camp back in there. I'd want a cot though. Sleeping on the ground in a tent or not wouldn't be all that great with all the rocks under them. Two boats beached would be pushing it due to a large boulder about a foot under water almost centered on the little amount of beach there is. Would be a totally cool spot to camp but seeing as how it is a known cool spot to check out I don't think I would want to be camping there due to potential traffic. A excellant spot for a shore lunch though if one had the stuff with them to cook up some fish for lunch. If the lake was 10-20 feet high then no shore. Just vertical walls.

To tell you the truth I have no idea what a LMB tastes like muchless smoked. I have never tried to eat one. Just catch and release for the sport of it. I did eat/try a small smallie 5-6 years ago in Montana. Accidental catch on Fort Peck Lake while chasing the Walleyes with my dad. He said keep it and we will fry it up with the Eyes. After trying it I'd of rather tossed the rest in the garbage. No comparison. The smallie was "mushy" compared to an Eye and not nearly as good to the taste buds.

LMB/SMB for fun. Stripers for the dinner table is what I go by.

A Striper and betting a Wiper, never caught one before, both are comparable to an Eye IMO and much better dinner fare. Nice flakey white meat.

Tom
[signature]
I'll be honest, LMB & SMB are way better eating than a striper. It's just as flaky, but way less dense and dry, especially compared to some of the bigger stripers. Not sure how that will play out if you smoke it, you may be better with a denser fish for that. Rather eat bass fried or steamed chinese style. If you steam it, it has a similar texture to an expensive snapper. One that may cost you >$20/lb back in Hawaii.

On the downside, the guts of a LMB are full of worms 100% of the time at Mead. If that will bother you, don't bother bringing any home. Never seen any in the flesh though. As long as you aren't eating them raw, I doubt you will have a problem, but you should never eat fresh water fish raw, since all fresh water fish may carry tapeworm cysts.
[signature]
I have eaten a fair share of bass. Sometimes when I am camping I will nab a lmb or smb at sunrise and filet it up for breakfast.

Honestly, I really do not like them. I would eat just about any other freshwater fish before bass. Stripers are wayyy better in my opinion.
[signature]
I find the Bass don't hold up well in my Yeti cooler like the Stripers do.
I would rather eat the Stripers than impact the awsome resource.
[signature]
Those are some incredible photos!

Lake Mead always has some cool little spots like that.

Waters super clear, you can snorkel... Out here in Texas, you cant see your nose in front of your face in most lakes.

The bass are slightly larger and more abundant that at Mead... I must say
[signature]