Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, 2 days - 3 skunks
Day 1 Sunday as previously posted. Lots of wind and lots of skunk.

Day 2 Monday. Got my #2 son out on the WB for the first time. Day dawned beautiful, few clouds, light breeze that got a bit choppy for awhile, but no where near as bad as Sunday.
Son was on a limited time release from babysitting duty, so we didn't spend any time trolling. Headed straight south to the Feed Lot area. Anchored off in several spots, various depths. Spent 30 to 40 minutes drowning worms and washing mussels in each spot. No luck.
Moved over to the upper north east edge of Freeway Bay, no luck. Got into about 4-5 ft. almost at the far south east corner, and finally started getting some tugs.
We both had several inquisitive nibbles, and some pop and drops. I even had a couple more of those grab and run with it for 10 or 20 yards, then drop it and turn back and laugh at the perplexed human on the boat.[crazy]

Then 2 hours before we had to vamoose, about 1115 A.M. my sons pole took a bender. Got it close enough to see it and was one of the biggest male Channel Cats I've seen in Willard this year. I netted, he boated, and saw the hook way down his throat. He wanted to cook some kitty fries anyway, so in the well he went. Short wait, and sons pole starts doing the "tap and slide" along the gunwale. Another male, just a bit smaller. And in less than an hour total, a 3rd Kitty. Nice healthy female. Just in time to pack it all up, get to the north marina, trailer the boat, clean the 3 Cats, and get him home on time. Me, that was skunk #2.

Weather had gotten so dang nice, I decided I wanted to get back on the water, so about 3 PM I'm back out on Willard. Worked several spots up along the north east Cat Condos, nada, nothing, zip, zilch......Skunk #3

Got photos of the sons catch yesterday, but not on this PC. Will have to post them from home later tonight.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Looks like the fish don't like you any more.
[signature]
eah, it happens............. photos of my son's fish and ones he took of the lake.
[signature]

Cool
Still a good day to get out.
[signature]
I bet that was you I saw up north of me about 0900. I put the yellow Yak in at the south marina again.

Everything looked good to start with, just a light breeze until I got to the spot I planed to fish. Got the bait over the side then then the wind picked up then a bit more. That did it for me so I paddeled back into the channel to get out of chop. Hadn't been there too long before I realized the wind had slowed to a breeze so out I headed back out.

After not getting any hits for awhile I was about to reel in and leave when a cat grabbed the bait and decided to leave. Bringing it to the Yak the dang thing picked up the other line plus the getting the anchor line. All I could do was to release the fish then start cutting lines. It was to much mess to untangle. Got one rod ready and before I could get to the other a Wiper nailed the mussel. I don't know how much line he spooled before I broke him to lead. I didn't measure it but I know it was the largest I have taken.

Had to get back home so I headed back at 1130.

There were 3 or 4 boats launched while I was there.

RJ
[signature]
We met at the launch on Sunday at WB, you launched ahead of me. I braved to wind and had to use two anchors in my favorite spot, south freeway bay in the slope of 9 to 6 foot water, 7 poles east of pig farm.

Picked up two wipers, but the waves were crashing over my bow and I was wearing my life jacket, decided after an hour or so to head up by you, picked up a very nice cat, called it a day. Your mussel trick worked, circle hooks are the best, didn't loose any nibbels, but in that wind, not sure I could tell. Hellacious wind. There were rollers, the ocean would be safer.
[signature]
Sure glad you did better than I did last Sunday.
[signature]

Cool