Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Lakers
Soo, curiosity has my dying to go toss some feathers for some aggressive spawning macks. Anyone ever do this? What flies do you suggest?(I was planning on tossing big galloup streamers) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
[signature]
Lakers are not like Other trout that get more aggressive during the spawn. In fact they are just the opposite and just focus on the spawn. Many joke they have lockjaw during that time. You can coax them to an occasional gentle mouthing of something. It will most likely be a good test of your patience.
[signature]
I don't want to slam the door on "tightline, but most of that is incorrect information. Lakers are definitely aggressive during the spawn. The guys casting off the Utah State Park marina have been catching Lake Trout for a couple of weeks now. This weekend was exceptionally good. They can be caught on flys. You may pass it by their noses 20 times, but on the 21 time they will lash out and strike out of aggression. This is about the only time of year you can catch them on fly rods at Bear Lake. Big rabbit hair streamers in white, with some pinch-on glow-in-the-dark strike indicators immediately above the streamer works well. Other patterns also work, including tubes rigged on a fly rod. The best time is at night when you can see the fish. If anyone is snagging, they will be issued tickets and it is being patrolled. Also, if you witness anyone snagging, you can use you cell phone and call the Poaching Hotline at 1-800-662-3337.
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy] If anyone is snagging, they will be issued tickets and it is being patrolled. Also, if you witness anyone snagging, you can use you cell phone and call the Poaching Hotline at 1-800-662-3337.[/quote]
God I wish that would happen over here! After 25 years of it now, I've given up on that dream. Glad yours are being watched though.
[signature]
Thanks for the great info BearLakeFishGuy, unfortunately last weekend was my chance to head up there but plans changed. Hopefully next year I'll get to give it s try!
[signature]