Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10-24-15 The fish are shallow
Fished Strawberry yesterday with Barry and Troy. It was a great day of catching, beautiful weather and great company. The first stop was a non-producer and we were fighting the light breeze trying to move into it with the Minn Kota.

I decided to move to where the wind was blowing from so that we wouldn't needlessly run down the trolling motor. On the way to the end of the bay I noticed a boat anchored up and fishing in really shallow water (we're talking probably 5 to 6' deep water). Decided to anchor up (love the virtual anchor) around a block from them and see if the fish were in shallower. We were in 12.5' of water and from then (about 8:00 AM to about 1:00 PM) it was highly unusual to go 5 minutes without getting a bite. We had numerous doubles and came close several times to having triples.

During the week I had gotten the jig hook on one of my rods hooked into some cloth and so I had bent the barb down in order to get it out of the clothing. Of course, that was the primary rod I was fishing with at the start and lost three fish in a row. The last one I lost I believe was the largest fish I have had on my line at Strawberry.[frown]

I went through two bags of minnows, one bag of shrimp, and over a dozen night crawlers. We caught fish on tubes tipped with cut bait, shrimp, night crawlers, and meal worms. We caught them vertically, under a bobber, casting and reeling up in the water column, and casting and bouncing back to the boat. I noticed that when I made a cast, and put my rod in the rod holder to hook a fish on my second rod that was hanging vertically, that I often looked up to see the rod that I had just cast bent over. A light bulb turned on in my brain and I tried a different method of casting and bouncing back with great success. I would cast as far as I could cast, and let my tube drop to the bottom, lift my rod to bounce it back towards me a little, and then let it sit about 5 to 10 seconds before bouncing it again and repeating the process.

About 1:30, the bite slowed way down and we moved around trying to find the fish again. We had little success for a couple hours until locating a decent school of them again to end the day. We were off the water about 5:30.

Algae was thick, except where we fished at the end, and the fish didn't seem to mind at all. Water temperature ranged between 53 and 55 degrees.
[signature]
Thanks for the invite yesterday. Both Troy and I had a great time. The action was excellent indeed, although the minnows I used didn't seem to taste quite as good to the fish as yours did. [Wink] Way to show us how its done.
[signature]
Nice![cool] Sounds liked an enjoyable day.
[signature]
Great report Kent. I love it when fishing and the light bulb turns on and a new technique proves successful. Going through that much bait, I would guess you guys caught quite a few. ????????

Any rainbows in the mix?
[signature]
We probably caught around 100 fish, so it wasn't a great day, but I have had much worse. Four rainbows landed was all. The first three fish I hooked were rainbows.
[signature]
Troy and I each caught a couple rainbows as well.
[signature]
Nice Update time to head up
[signature]