Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod repair?
Picked up a couple used rods last week. One of them is a Lews speedstick that has a broken reel lock. I've attached pictures of the part in question. I was wondering if the screw lock can be replaced. Is it worth replacing, should I try super glue, or ???
[signature]
I have had the exact problem happen to one of my favorite rods in the past. What I did was ensure that the lock is grooved into the threads, and then I wrapped the broken lock with about 8-10 layers of electrical tape. I just wanted to get through a weekend of fishing, but that was two years ago, and I still use the rod-as is today. Just an idea, hope that helps.
[signature]
Not too sure replacing is even a option since I am guessing the rod would have to be torn down to get to that item.

I'd get it in place then wrap it with lockwire then a couple wraps of black electrical tape to hide/cover the lockwire. Been there done that exact thing to other stuff, not fishing, but same like application/issue. One should still be able to remove/add reels with a "bandaid" like that to the retaining collar.

Tom
[signature]
Thanks guys, I think I'll try wrapping it. The only way it can be replaced would be to remove the guides. Its a nice stick, but I'm thinking a repair would cost more then I paid for it.
[signature]
I'd take some heavy thread, (IE: jeans), and wrap it tightly to hold the plastic nut closed, similar to wrapping guides, then hit it with thinned epoxy to soak through and bind everything together. Uncoated kevlar fishing line like would be stronger, and probably work better.

I have repaired a couple rods with broken real seats and was able to strip everything off the butt end of the rod and build it back up from the butt end. These were musky/striper rods that I really liked, but I wouldn't have gone through that amount of work for an inexpensive rod.
[signature]
Hose clamp.

The other way is a back up clamp like the salt water guys use on their conventional reels. Then you don't need the reel locks.[inline tiburon-shimano-tranx-clamp-kit-8501-640x640.jpg]
[signature]
Best idea yet. Thanks
[signature]
If you're not too fussy I've used an automotive worm-type hose clamp for the same problem.Similar fix to what was already suggested but it's cheap,effective,and easy.
[signature]