Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Techniques
[size 2]When I first started ice fishing, I used to try a 2 hook setup. At first, I would put a barrell swivel and tie a second line or use a snap swivel to the barrell. This year (I mean 2003) I started drop shotting. This was coupled with me learning to tie Palomer knot last January. I have successfully used the palomer knot on everything(except my spelling disability). [/size]

[size 2]I have read for years that ice flies can catch lots of fish. I always thought they caught small fish. Me wants big fish![cool] I have used tubes and paddlbugs with minnows and nightcrawlers for years. When the fish are hungry, we been doing very well. But, sometimes you have to down size. [/size]

[size 2]This season starting at Scofield in early december, I have drop shotted through the ice. I have found that using an ice fly on top(eyelet on the nose. not on top) with a meal worm or a wax worm(even some perch meat) gives me another option for them fishface little buggers. It has worked exremely well at Jordanelle(Lake X). I've used it at Strawberry too. I've been told you can use woolley buggers and more traditional flies on top too.[/size]

[size 2]On the bottom, we have been using 1/8oz tubes, grubs, jigs, and altered paddlebugs(I prefer the heavier weight). I haven't seen any problems with this setup, except for using old 6lb line at Strawberry bringing a Cutthroatasaurus Rex thru the hole([blush]doh, user error). The polymer knot gives the user 100% knot strtength. I can't wait to try it at FIshlake with 1/0 hooks and a slab of perchmeat. [/size]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][size 3]I suppose you could try using the 'check spelling' feature before hitting 'post reply' but I imagine that would take you an additional 10 minutes before actually posting. [Wink][/size][/font]
[signature]
Tomegun,
I was going to post a question about the same topic but you beat me to the keyboard. I used the dropshot technique last year at Deer Creek for perch. I tied two different colored 1/16 tube jigs using the 'Palomar' knot (at least that's how I've seen it called/spelled in magazines and my fishing books) and caught some perch with it. I was fishing in 30' of water so this allowed me to get to the bottom fast. If I needed more weight, I would retie and add a small bell sinker at the end of the line. Like you, I have used it on shallow water (Utah Lake) or deep water (Strawberry ), going after different species and have found no problems with it. I have also used with just plain hooks (with bait) or with jigheads or a mixture of the two, with the plain hook tied above the jig head. I just try not to do much casting with it.

Thanks for sharing your technique.

kastmaster
[signature]
[size 2]Ah[blush], I knew that[angelic]. Just testing you[shocked][/size]
[signature]
I have been using your special palomar knot since you taught it to me at Starvation and it has worked great. The only thing I have noticed on having the top jig right next to the line is that the bite on this hook is lighter. I think the fish feel the line when they take their bait in. What I did last year to remedy this a little is to tie on my bottom jig and then come up about a foot. This is where I tie a loop that is about three inches long in the line. I then double tie the loop so it can't pull out when fish is fighting. I take that loop and put it through the eye of a jig or treble hook, loop the loop around the jig, and then cinch it back down onto itself. When I use this with power bait it attracts more fish and I get a better bite because they take it in without noticing the other line so much.

The only downside to this is if you are planning on or have to release the fish. Sometimes they take it deep and you have to cut it or carefully get it out so when you release the fish they don't die.

This is just my two cents and if I remember I will take a picture of the set up I used that worked for me yesterday at Strawberry. I just wanted to try to return a little bit of the wisdom you shared on our last trip so take this for what it's worth.
[signature]