Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Berry ... Very Cold and Very Hot ... 11-7-15
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Ron C. (FishNCoach) and I decided to fish the Berry today. We drove over to Renegade to fish some of my favorite spots now that the water temperatures are down and the fantastic fall fishing should be on.

We arrived at Renegade where we ran into JiggyJus10 and his fishing buddy launching their boat. Good to see you again my old friend.

The dock has been pulled out of the water at Renegade now so launching from the muddy bank is a little bit of a challenge.

Once we launched, we buzzed way over to the east side … one of my favorite spots this time of year. We couldn't find any fish on the finder and no bites.

So we left there and went over to the entrance to the south narrows channel. I figured it would be good there because there were already several boats in the area. After an hour, they all left because there was no action. We finally left too.

We buzzed down to one of my favorite points east of the marina … nada!

I'm thinking , MAN, what the heck has happened to all my great fall fishing holes???

Well, I run over to Horse creek … they for sure will be there … nada!!!

By this time, it's 10:30 and we ain't got a single bite yet! I was feeling kind of dumb having bragged to Ron about how good the fishing is at the Berry this time of year.

But I still had one more place to try. We pulled up on that spot and seen one fish on the finder so we anchored up and got to fishing … BINGO!!! For the next five hours, we caught fish nearly every cast! If we didn't hook one, we at least got bites. Well, that's not totally true, there were a couple of times that we went 15 minutes without a bite. But never in my life have I had such a stellar day of fishing for trout. We had about 20 doubles, 3 rainbows, and 2 slot busters. By the time the battery ran dead on my i-Pilot (virtual anchor) at 3:30, Ron had landed 55 fish and I had landed 71! That's 126 fish between two guys in one day!

Now I don't blame you at all if you don't believe me, but it is true and I will never forget it. It beat my previous record of 103 fish between 3 fishermen a few years ago in Horse Creek.

We destroyed lots of tubes and jig heads. We used up 3 bags of cut chub, and my back was glad we finally stopped when we did!

We didn't catch many jigging right under the boat. Most of them came in by casting way out, letting the jig drop to the bottom, and SLOWLY reeling it in. I assumed our lures were on the bottom. Once the line got to about a 45° angle, fish on! One after another after another after another.

Again, we just used a white tube jig tipped with chub slathered with Pro-Cure Anchovy supper jell. The more and fresher the chub, the sooner they would bite.

Sorry about going on and on about this but man, what a day!

The afternoon brought strong breezes and big waves. Once again, I was impressed how well my i-Pilot performed. I LOVE that tool. The big waves didn't seem to put much of a damper on the fishing though.

Many many times, when bringing in a hooked fish, one, two, and sometimes three fish would be following it trying to take the bait out of the caught fish's mouth. I've seen that a few times in the past but not as often as today.

It's cold in the mornings there. Heck, it was cold all day for that matter. It was 18° when we arrived. And the water temperature was 47°. Kept our hoodies up all day. I was dressed with the same cold weather gear as when I go ice fishing. Glad I did. But the fishing sure was hot!

--- Coot ---[/font]
[signature]
Way to put the hurt on them troutskis.[cool]
[signature]
Right on Ralph! Sounds like a stellar day!
[signature]
Nice Job Ralph and Ron.
[signature]
Congrats Ralph on getting into them. Sounds like you had a typical late fall fishing trip at Strawberry. They seem to really school up this time of year and if one can find a school one can catch lots of fish. If one can't find a school it can be a long and slow day.
[signature]
[quote Old_Coot][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]

Many many times, when bringing in a hooked fish, one, two, and sometimes three fish would be following it trying to take the bait out of the caught fish's mouth. I've seen that a few times in the past but not as often as today.

[/font][/quote]

Did you try casting another tube jig next to the fish that was being reeled in?
That can be great fun sight fishing that way. If you can get your lure down there before getting the fish too close to the boat the trailing fish will hit the lure every time.
[signature]
We did try that twice but it didn't yield anything. But I think that is because we didn't get lures to them in time before they had dispersed. But it didn't much matter anyway cause all we had to do was cast again and get another bite. But yea, it was crazy.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]That was one Steller of a day, and starting out the day I thought it was going to be a bummer of a day, skunked in the first few hours, what is interesting with this time fishing when we finely found the area that we caught all the fish, everyone else left for the day, there were a few float tubes out there but that was it, WOW a day that I shall long remember, I wish Adam Eakle was there or some news team because there are plenty that will not believe us. And believe it or not one fish striped off the white tube, so I tried just the hock, and YEW I caught fish (Called riming it, as in no tire on the rim) Yes 55 (FishNCoach and 71(Old Coot) total 126 fish. If you want to count the ones that got to the boat and then the fish figured out how to release them self’s then were pushing more numbers, Thanks Coot this Is one for the record books. And for my life book of experiences. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Nice job guys, and I believe those numbers, had some days like that ourselves.
[signature]
Nicely done, sounds like a hell of a day!

Sounds like it was a chilly one. Probably won't be a whole lot longer before she starts to freeze.
[signature]
Nice catch.
Can you tell me the wind direction when you started and what direction it was when you started catching fish.
[signature]
[quote lovetofish]Can you tell me the wind direction when you started and what direction it was when you started catching fish.[/quote]

The day started off with no wind. As the day progressed, breezes started around 12:00 out of the east an remained from the east the rest of the day. The breezes turned into wind enough to make 1-2 foot white caps. Right when I was loading the boat at the ramp to leave, the back of my boat took on lots of water from the waves crashing over the transom.
[signature]
Ralph sounds like a great trip, glad you were there the right time and found the right spot. Thank for the report. Later J
[signature]
well done fellas, sounds like a ripper of a day!!

And I know what you mean about the iPilot. I will never have another boat without one.
[signature]
Right on Ralph You are the man. Heading up on the 14th [fishin]
[signature]