Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada days 1-3
Made it back in town saturday after six days of hard-core waterfowling up north...man am I tired! Since I know pictures are what you're here for, I'll split this up into two posts so it doesn't bog you internet down too much!

Total for the trip was 255 birds for four guys, our best year yet! This year the honkers didn't show up in the area until late in the week but we were up to our necks in snows and lesser canada geese. We figure there were close to 500,000 snows and 250,000 dark geese in the area while we were there.

Monday:
Monday found us in a dirty cut corn field just south of one of the main reservoirs. The night before it was holding 3,000+ birds, darks, lights and mallards. We did good [Smile]. With an 8 bird limit for dark geese and another 8 for ducks, we got 70 birds for the morning including one flock of 100 snows landing in the dekes that we pulled a few out of! I'll try and attach a video.[inline DAY1.mp4]

[inline "1109151138c (Medium).jpg"][inline "FullSizeRender_1 (Medium).jpg"]

Out of the field by 11, we decided to call it a day and scout the evening. We found more birds!

Tuesday:

It snowed the previous night so we threw the snow covers on the layouts for the morning. It wasn't as hot and heavy as Monday, but we pulled a few canadas into the spread and a couple bonus snows. Not too shabby.

[inline "1110150958b (Medium).jpg"]

Teusday night was a mallard field we'd found a few thousand in. We set out five dozen canada silohettes, a couple dozen full body mallards, two spinners and waited for the ducks to come off the roost. We didn't have to wait long before we were buried under a tornado of mallards. Not only did we shoot 32 mallards backpedaling in the decoys, but we finished out our limit of honkers and pulled in a few more snows. If you've never shot mallards in a corn field...put it on you bucket list! I don't know of anything that's more awe inspiring in the great outdoors!
[inline "Teusday3 (Medium).jpg"]

Wednesday:

We made it out into the field and found 35-45mph winds, not ideal but we set up anyway. After an hour and only two birds, we called it and left the spread in the field. We went back and got our dekes and hit the mallard field again, hoping for a little bit of luck. Though not as intense as the night before, we still shot a good number with some bonus geese.
[signature]