Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada days 4-6
Thursday:

The geese were back in the field we'd hunted the first day so Thrursday we decided to hit a field right next to it. We set up and the birds would circle and then decide they wanted to be 300 yards west of us even though there were no birds there. Having missed the "X", we dragged our layout blinds full of decoys to where they wanted to be. While we were walking, a flock of 300 snows kicked up and drifted over us. In the middle of the flock was a gorgeous eagle head blue goose that I couldn't resist! I stood up and stoned him dead at 55 yards! What a beautiful bird!
[inline "1112151101a (Medium).jpg"]
[inline "1112151103b (Medium).jpg"]
[inline "1112151103c (Medium).jpg"]
It wasn't fast and furious, but small flocks trickled into us in the new spot and we scratched down another 15 canadas, mostly honkers. That night we were all tired of being together so we split up and I pass shot divers on a lake and enjoyed the 50,000 snows trading fields above me.

Friday:

We set up in a dirty cut corn field friday morning and watched all the geese fly 200 yards west of us to another field. We did our best despite a bad wind direction and knocked down a few honkers. One of our guys got bored and went scouting where he found a field of snows feeding a little to close to the edge of the road. A short stalk and three shots later, seven snows died including a ross goose!
[inline 1113151137.jpg]

Friday night found us in another dirty cut corn field where the mallards wanted to be. It was stunning to see over 1,000 birds circling in the air above us with more coming off the lake in the distance...I can't explain what ducks 360 degrees around you is like except that it makes you Smile like a dumb kid for hours afterwards!
[inline "1113151601 (Medium).jpg"]
[inline "20151113-MKII4667 (Medium).jpeg"]
[inline "20151113-MKII4574 (Medium).jpeg"]
[inline "20151113-MKII4511 (Medium).jpeg"]

Saturday:

We decided to split up again for our last hunt, one buddy and I went into a goose field while the other two went back to the duck field. Two hours later we finished our limit of tiny cackling geese in the most perfect example of what canada should be that I can think of! Shooting into flocks of 15 or less with their feet down right in the kill zone! Wow! doesn't get any better than this!
[inline "IMG_3460 (Medium).JPG"]

We got back to the other guys and found they'd had some luck as well, shooting another 10 greenheads.
[inline "1114151046a (Medium).jpg"]
[inline IMG_3465.JPG]
[signature]
What a fabulous hunt! Just curious, but what is the possession limit on ducks/geese in Canada. How many can you actually bring home to UT?
[signature]
I can't actually remember what the possession limit is, we usually only bring home what we shoot the last night/day. The rest we give to the hutterites or the local food bank.
[signature]
Where we hunted in Sask. the bag limit is 3 times your daily limit other than snows which is 20 per day and no bag limit. The darks were 8 per day and 24 in possession and the white fronts were 5 a day and 15 in possession, we combined a couple days goose hunting with a bear hunt and only shot the big Canadas. We were early in Oct. and the big flights hadn't started down yet. If I went up again I would like to go later in the season, looks like they had a great time. Four of us are headed to Kansas in Feb. to try for a mixed bag like we did last year which was Canadas, white fronts and snows.
[signature]
Looks like you guys had a great trip, thanks for the pictures.
[signature]
WOW, what a great trip. Good on you all.
[signature]
Me likey! That looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Hey, man, next time you do something like this, shoot me a PM, please?

I do primitive archery, and goose wing feathers are my favorite for cane or dogwood arrows. The snow goose splotchy white/black tips are particularly cool looking.

If, before you gave them to the food bank, you were to clip the last one or two joints off the wings and save me the big primary and even secondary flight feathers, I'd be grateful. I'd even pay you for em, or work out some kind of trade. People on Ebay want a way too much for em.
[signature]
Might be a couple years but you got it!

Would you want canada goose feathers? I'm likely to end up with a few more of those before the season ends!
[signature]
A few of us are headed to Kansas to hunt the snows and darks in Feb. I'll try to remember to save you some.
[signature]
Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to imply I didn't want Canadas! They are great. I'll take anything you got that is big enough. Even large ducks can be used, like canvasbacks and mallards, for kids areas.

Goose feathers are naturally water resistant, and Canadas are the best of those.

You don't even have to pluck them, just snip the last joint off the wing bone, and put them in a paper bag (not plastic, please). Set them outside in the winter or in your freezer, and they will eventually freeze dry.
[signature]
You got it bud
[signature]