Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to lake mead fishing
Hi guys. Love this site since I found it. Very informative. I am used to fishing the Great Lakes me am new to fishing lake mead. I would love to focus on striper. That said what would be a solid recommendation for this time of the year to try for baits - lures. I see a very popular area is hole 33 and the wash area. Thanks in advanced for any advice
[signature]
Hello and welcome to BFT NV. i will include some links to past posts for your reading pleasure.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ost=726171

Start there and let us know if you have specific questions. Thanks for posting.
[signature]
Thank you. Yes that is very helpful. I'm gonna re adjust some of the things I have and give it a try this week. Hopefully a little luck and help from the fish finder will prove a solid trip
[signature]
Read some of my recent post....they are still holding off Sand Island to Government Wash buoy.

New hot spot is in between those two locations on the NORTH side.

Carolina rig
Suspended at 30ft to 60ft bottom depth was around 100.
[signature]
Went out today and was able to locate striper at the end of the lake near the wash (sand bar that runs into the lake). Several small striper in the 1 to 2 pound range but had absolutely no luck with lures of any type. Only thing that seemed to work was shads in the 4 to 5 inch range. Was able to net some but been a long time since I have thrown a net. Any tips on locations for shads other than that area? I think I often would be on top of them and they quickly swam under the net due to the water being 7 to 10 feet deep. Perhaps any tips on how to better net them. Thanks
[signature]
Stripers are native to saltwater. They became anadramous at some time and kept their saltwater instincts. Anchovy is one of their favorite foods. I have been to lake Mead, Castaic, the Sacramento delta and even the Amazons. Some of the local bait species are awesome and work most of the time as well as imitations of those local baits. The longest lasting and never fail bait for the Stripers is the Anchovy. There are a few bait shops that sell frozen Anchovy. Hook them up on a drop shot and they will be all over it.

[cool]
[signature]
Stay to the right side of the wash in the last cove.
Yes the one way in the back. The entrance is about 2.5 feet deep, them gets about 6 feet deep in the middle.

That cove is full of shad.

Back of Government wash has shad.

Front side of 33 hole (look for the vegetation near the shore) has shad.
[signature]
When was the last time you fished Lake Mead?
[signature]
Live shad is your best bet. Looking for shad in the areas iamthesmf pointed out. With the continued water level drop be careful trying to get into that cove on the left. I was in a kayak and I ran into a sand bar in the middle of that 2.5 channel you have to use to get into that cove.
[signature]
Thank you for all the advise as information is everything sometimes. When I was out there this past week the passage way was very shallow. I observed a smaller flat bottom fishing boat make it threw using a trolling motor and upon asking him he said his depth finder was showing 1.8 feet deep so I did not try to get in as I have a v hull and was concerned of bottoming out. Perhaps next time I'll just walk over there and net it unless it gets a tad deeper. Anyone know if that is soft mud or is it all rocky and hard ground in there. Would suck to get a hole
[signature]
My last trip there was @3 weeks ago. That was my 5th trip for the year. [cool]
[signature]