Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back country Llama Packing & Fishing
Last summer I noticed the Lander Llama company rented llama's for back country expeditions and I also noticed that my age is starting to catch up with me, but I'm not ready to quit the back country trips yet, so I've been thinking that maybe llama's are the way for me to go....

Soooooo I got two untrained llama's and I'm starting my epic training adventure..... Has anyone out in BFT land ever trained a llama for packing? I missed out on how to train a horse, growing up with motorcycles and wheelers instead of horses... My last experience in FFA with training a steer to lead for the fair went something like this.

I didn't start training my steer to lead until it was 1100 lbs and rumor has it I might have tied the rope around my waist as I offered it a bucket of grain as a treat to coax it to follow me, well, it wouldn't come closer so I shook the bucket which scared the steer, so it whirled around and started to run away, well since it out weighed me by about ten fold and being tied to the steer, I followed about two steps behind it, which for some reason scared the steer worse and it ran faster and I followed... About now my steps were near 10 yards between touchdowns which was perty good in cowboy boots... I think I set a new human land speed record that day except for the steer assist... Well about then I had a ward robe malfunction and the heel tore off my boot, which sort of caused me to fall flat on my belly and as I looked up I seen the steers hoofs about 3" from my face as it drug me through the dust and manure... On about the second loop around that corral the steer threw me up against the fence which sort of tore up my back as the 1/4" diameter slivers from the railroad ties riped through my shirt, and since that was so much fun, it drug me up over a rough 2' cement water trough wall and through the water so the dust and poop would really stick well. After another loop I think my training technique was starting to really work, or the fact that I had mearly lassoled the steer with a single loop around it's neck, so it might have been running out of air, anyway it slowed down enough that I was able to get to my feet and throw a loop around the fence post so I could hold the steer while I untied the rope from around my belly...

Anyway I don't really want to train these llamas the same way... If anyone has some llama training tips I would appreciate it... I have been doing the Google seach thing and watching those videos but would like to see if there are better ideas out there...

I'm dreaming of letting the llamas carry my pontoon into some back country lake so I'll be in heaven for a little while each summer... Plus the hay isn't selling very fast this year and so at least I'll get something out of it... Might just be llama poop, but hey it's something... Later J
[signature]
Wow, I hope your llama training goes better than your steer training went.
[signature]
Me too only so many miracles one is entitled to and I think I've used up a bunch of mine. Hope this isn't another one of my foolish ideas, but if so I hope I learn something. Later J
[signature]
Sometimes the most foolish ideas lead to the best adventures.[Smile] I have been wanting a pack goat for a while now, for the same reason, but my wife says it won't fit in our small yard[Sad] good luck with you adventure, keep us posted!
[signature]
Oh man. I haven't had a good laugh like that for a while. I can just see your Mom and
Dads faces while this is going on.
[signature]
Pack goats are not little guys. I have been with a few, and the ones I was with were 200 lbs and stood 4 foot tall.

Llamas like goats need to be worked out, to get their body and feet in shape. You just cant take it out when needed.

Renting might be a better idea, and more cost effective in the long run.
[signature]
Your steer story really cracked me up. Only because my kids have all shown steers and we must all have to go through the same experiences. I have had alot of experiences with cattle and horses but only one with Llamas. I was riding my horse in the amethyst basin in the Uinta's years ago when I came around a bend in the trail just in time for my horse to see her first llama trailing a forest service employee. She took off bucking across an open meadow causing my packs to flap causing her to buck harder causing me to meet the ground hard. when I got up and got my senses and pride back and was able to catch her. I got a lecture from the Forest Service employee about tearing up pristine meadows while my dad laughed in the background. Sorry, no help from me.
[signature]
[bobhappy][bobhappy][bobhappy]now that was funny
[signature]
I'm sure I'll keep you informed of the twists and turns. I hope the success as well. Already been warned about the llamas taking off with your camp gear and leaving me in a pickle. Not sure how I'll avoid that but hope I can. Later J
[signature]
Luckily the folks weren't around to witness that rodeo. Went home and washed up and didn't tell them for awhile until I had to fess up that I wasn't going to show my steer. Also needed some help getting the slivers out of my back. Later J
[signature]
Nice rodeo and I love that area. Just like the FS to think you did it on purpose. Glad you survived to do it another day. Also part of the reason I didn't go for horses. Later J
[signature]
It is now but not so much at the time. Sometimes you wish you could be off to the side watching the stupid stuff you do instead of being in the drivers seat. Later J
[signature]
Try mules. Pack a lot and good critters. I have a buddy in Idaho that is a hunting guide. Uses horses and mules.
[signature]
Hey Ratnest I'm sure the renting option will end up cheaper in the long run but at $750 a trip it's harder to get approval than a little here and a little there expenses. Plus if I get a second trip in then I might start to break even and my daughter loves the llama so there's that benefit too. Later J
[signature]
Afraid they're too big and might get the best of me, but agree they would be better for load carrying. J
[signature]
http://www.borderllamas.com/llama_training_tips.htm

http://www.llamas-information.com/about-llama-training/
[signature]
Curt that's good stuff I'll have to study and follow that advice. Thank you. J
[signature]
So you have Larry the lonely llama? There is/has been one out by wood side south of price. We started calling it Larry the lonely llama since it was the only one.
[signature]
Well I actually have two Jethro and Jack the Ripper. So they aren't too lonely it's a bro's no ho's herd so far. Crazy I know but not a growth industry. Later J
[signature]
I've heard that htey lay down when scared and wont get back up.
[signature]