Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40 yr old Johnson & self venting tank
When I recently asked for a recommendation for a boat mechanic, several of you guys recommended Lee's Marine in Hyrum. I want to thank you all for the good advise. He is not cheap, but really knows what he is doing and did not replace parts that were not bad, as I was about to do. Overall I am very happy with his service.

I also learned that the new self venting tanks can cause damage to your engine by building up too much pressure. Lee advised me to always crack the cap when the tank is hooked up to, or about to be hooked up to my outboard. The alternative is to install a pressure regulator in the line.

Note: Hyrum is a hell of a drive from West Jordan, but a ruined fishing trip is a lot worse.
[signature]
All my old tanks had vents built into them and since I now have a boat that does not use those portable tanks now, it isn't an issue but I've heard a few members complain about them. Glad Lee was able to help you out, he is the fairest of any dealer I've ever deal with, especially when it come to older motors but as you said, not cheap.
[signature]